BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1991 Soft tail Harley with it's 48 horse power stock engine has a tad more acceleration than my 1991 K 75's 70 horsepower engine .The Harley is 200 pounds heavier . Both are well maintained to OEM specifications .
Tire Sky Mountain Wheel Cloud
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
911 Posts
It's a gentleman's bike I'm afraid. It's claim to fame is how smooth it is, and dependable too. In general there is little that can be done to achieve a significant increase in HP to a BMW unless you go completely out of bounds. Keep your eye open for a low miles used S1000R. A good second (third) bike for a grocery getter.

Reactions: nlwntr

·
Registered
2016 S1000 XR 2015 K1300 S
193 Posts
I think, but I am not sure, that BMW used different gear ratios in the final drive on the early K bikes like they did with the airheads. If they did you could shop around for a lower ratio effectively trading top end for acceleration. You could also try loosing the frame mounted room addition (fairing) and go naked. Perhaps all of that would be accomplished by buying a K75 C. Better yet, a K75 S ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
ANYTHING, can be "souped up". Even a BMW. It's an internal combustion engine. All of the standard hot rodding tricks for ECU controlled fuel injection engines apply.
The cheap stuff. Higher flowing air cleaner. Better injectors. Advanced ignition timing if possible. Better exhaust. Then maybe a reprogrammed chip/ECU.
Got a little more money... Competition valve job & port and polish. More yet... Better cams if available or have yours reground.
All just depends on how deep your pockets are.
I'd probably start with a good tuneup.

·
Registered
2016 S1000 XR 2015 K1300 S
193 Posts
ANYTHING, can be "souped up". Even a BMW. It's an internal combustion engine. All of the standard hot rodding tricks for ECU controlled fuel injection engines apply.
The cheap stuff. Higher flowing air cleaner. Better injectors. Advanced ignition timing if possible. Better exhaust. Then maybe a reprogrammed chip/ECU.
Got a little more money... Competition valve job & port and polish. More yet... Better cams if available or have yours reground.
All just depends on how deep your pockets are.
I'd probably start with a good tuneup.
I think you just described the K1200 RS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, he asked!
Come to think of it... You could always put a turbo on it too. The alternative symbol for horse power is $$.
RB Racing K-bike turbo kits RB Racing designed and produced Turbochargers for BMW motorcycles for over 15 years encompassing kits for both air cooled twins as well as inline 3's and 4's (R100/K75/K100/K1000/K1100) as well as the newer R1100RS models. The bikes were used for daily commuting, racing, dyno contests, and for all we know coffee tables. We know of K100 bikes that went over 80,000 miles with turbochargers tucked under their chins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts