BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a way to drive thier KRS up into an older Chevy/Ford van, say 1989-1996 model year? Are there any slick tricks in regards to a ramp, and stabilizing the bike once it's inside? Would the windshield have to come off, or will it fit as is? Problem I see is getting the bike back out. I have seen a friend drive his bike up a ramp into the back of his pickup, so I know that can be done, but I never saw how he got it back down!
Also, as a follow-on question, would it be possible to fit another gas tank anywhere in the bike to get more than the 4 or 5 gallons the stock tank holds? Even a couple of gallons more would be nice.
Cheers,
Jack

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Take the windscreen off. Not the easiest thing, but not difficult.

If you have enough balance to ride it up and in, you should have enough to ride it out (yeah, backward).
I do that with a trailer, and yes, the trailer is sitting lower by maybe 6 inches. Just make sure you have plenty of flat room behind you, and if you have the EVO brakes, you might want to have the key turned on.

Otherwise, probably two people, one on each side, with the key on for using the rear brake. Might have the person on the left shift it into gear and use the clutch as a means of slowing down just in case (not running the engine, though).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
No Problem

Yes you can, we have done it once a year for the last four. On a 2001 with a comfort shield, you will have to pull it down to get it in. We push it in the van by hand ONLY
Two of us is needed for safety and ease. Make sure you use a 10 or 12 inch wide board to go across the back of the seats to put the front wheel up against. ( a must ) Then use straps to hold the wheel very firm in place. If you put two 2 by 4's horizontal ( one on each side of the wheel, to help hold in place )and screw them to the larger board at the back of the seats, its the best way.
We use the same board as a ramp that we use on the back of the seats.
Attached is a picture of the van and trailer, I will look to see if there is one inside.

Good Luck and Becareful,

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great foto

Thanks James, I had no idea there would be that much room left over. Looks like the windshield doesn't even have to come off. I think it would be a great combo to have a van with my bike inside, best of both worlds. It snows like crazy up here at 9097 feet, so if I can put this rig together I can run the van down to a warmer climate and ride the bike from there. Again thanks for the great fotos.
Jack

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks also to Razel

And to Razel, I am thinking along your lines as well, to see if I can engineer some sort of hoist or winch thing whereby I could run the ramp out the back, run the bike up onto it, and winch the whole 9 yards into the van so I could do it by myself. James' fotos were very enlightening to me, there's quite a bit more room left inside than I had envisaged, such that some kind of motorized ramp just might fit with room left over. Thanks all.
Jack

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
getting the bike in

I am working on voxmagnas idea now, trying to devise a little sled like device I could ride the bike up onto first, then spin it around, THEN winch it into the van so the bike would be facing out such that it could just be driven off straight away. Looking at using a metal extendable ladder as a start, the tires might fit in between the rungs, will keep you posted.
Any one have any experience as to adding more gas tank capability? Maybe I should start a separate thread.
Cheers,
Jack

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mirror

I noticed the mirror had been rotated/removed from your excellent foto, thanks for your excellent feedback. Hoping BOOM and TIE will pay for all this.
Jack

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
frisco99 said:
...trying to devise a little sled like device I could ride the bike up onto first...
Check this out, click the pic. Scroll down the page to the "Condor Towing Cycle Loader".

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
brilliant

Rick, brilliant loader, I wonder if the device could be hooked up to the back wheel and winched in backwards, then the bike could be driven straight off down a ramp right out of the van. Maybe. Also thanks for the link to the external gas tank. Very nice fabrication. I like the gravity feed. I would maybe have a leather case made to put around it to make it look more like baggage, 5 gallons ought to do the trick, many thanks.
Jack

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Jack, go to the "Community Archives" forum and do a search on fuel cell. I seem to remember someone put a fuel cell inside a top case mounted on the back rack.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
fuel cells

Rick, I checked out the forum, very informative. I come away with the feeling that I don't want to place a box-like fuel cell behind me on the luggage rest behind the passenger seat, for the reasons mentioned in the various threads mostly relating to safety issues. There was one post by Jay Hansen where he made reference to having heard about a plastic tank that fit somewhere under the 'Tupperware'. This was my original thought, to try and figure a way to fit maybe 2 gallons of gas somewhere 'hidden' as it were, there was mention of a tank under the seat but no link. There was also another very informative post by GTRider as to the plumbing involved using a gravity system and a fuel pump. I would be interested in a non-gravity fuel pump solution. This is a difficult and non-trivial project, and may be best left alone at the end of it all, but my engineering curiosity prompts my interest. Point well taken by many as to most riders are ready for a break after 150 miles anyway. On the other hand, after dozens of trips in my truck between Colorado and Houston I have many a time run low on gas at 2 in the morning and it's been dicey finding an open gas station in north Texas at that time, although Hwy 287 is getting built up more every day. Thanks for all your help.
Jack

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rubber ducky

Actually I ripped the idea for the foto off from some other website, can't remember which one, I think off of a drummers forum ( I play drums and guitar), but when I saw it I laughed my ass off for quite a while, and decided to make my own version. It's supposed to show that even at age 56 I am still a kid at heart, and I hope it brings a chuckle to whoever sees it as it did me:}

1 - 20 of 20 Posts