BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have ya noticed this Can Am ad (which I am now wondering if they are using the "Spyder" name, I think they just call it the Can Am Roadster?).
Anywho, kind of a funny observation how the announcer says "of all the things you've ever ridden ", and just when he says the word ridden they show the female passenger with kind of a weird glance on her face. Just found it odd and wonder if anyone else picked up on it.
I think they damn things look like a jet ski dry humping a Hoover vacuum cleaner, but probably just me.

Gilly

·
Registered
218 Posts
GillyWI said:
...I think they damn things look like a jet ski dry humping a Hoover vacuum cleaner, but probably just me.

Gilly

Damn that's funny, I almost spit coffee on my monitor. Thanks for the laugh Gilly.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
didn't notice..will watch next time....But they also say "Now you can take your motorcycle license on a Can Am" :confused: Not knowing whether they mean "take" your motorcycle license with you on a Can Am or take your motorcycle license "test" on a Can Am :confused:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
No "Motorcycle License" required in the Province of Quebec to "ride" one of them, now they are all over the place, never seen so many of them than out there. :D

Lots of motorcycle dealers not too happy about that. :teeth

·
Registered
350 Posts
At 57 I'm too young..

I won't shift to 3 wheels until I'm in my 80s. :rotf: Frankly I'd be embarassed to show up on one.

"I think they damn things look like a jet ski dry humping a Hoover vacuum cleaner, but probably just me." Love it!

Another line I like - "I glanced up in my rear view mirror and I thought I was being chased my a Snowmobile"

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I really like the looks of them. I think they look really cool, but I admit that could be because I'm an old guy! Having said that, I already would expect to be disappointed if I rode one. I have in mind that they would feel heavy and hard to steer compared to a two-wheeler.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If they ever make one that leans into a turn I might consider it. The technology exists and I heard a rumble that Bombardier might be looking at it.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
BAK04GT said:
didn't notice..will watch next time....But they also say "Now you can take your motorcycle license on a Can Am" :confused: Not knowing whether they mean "take" your motorcycle license with you on a Can Am or take your motorcycle license "test" on a Can Am :confused:
Some places allow you to take the test with them, some don't. California is one that doesn't let you take either the M1 or C licensing test with them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
160 Posts
morrie said:
If they ever make one that leans into a turn I might consider it. The technology exists and I heard a rumble that Bombardier might be looking at it.
I saw where Harley Davidson has the patent for that.

If I find it again I will post back here.

NCS

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bombadier has filed a patent for a leaning front end too, much like the MP3 has.

I think they look pretty cool. Figure if there are some out there that don't feel safe on two wheels, maybe it will get them out in the wind so they can experience what we do on two wheel. Personally, would rather ride one of those any day of the week than drive a Prius.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I kinda like them too. As good looking as a tricycle can get i think. I have a few friends in their 80's with bum knee's that , had they been around, might have considered them 10 years ago. I will definitely be looking at something like that 40 years from now :rotf: - 40 years haha! another perfect girls bike possibly? No offence to the women riders out their, just saying that not all women want to ride a 2 wheeled machine. I might be able to coax my wife onto an auto version....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sit said:
Bombadier has filed a patent for a leaning front end too, much like the MP3 has.

I think they look pretty cool. Figure if there are some out there that don't feel safe on two wheels, maybe it will get them out in the wind so they can experience what we do on two wheel. Personally, would rather ride one of those any day of the week than drive a Prius.
I think some company has a three-wheel scooter that leans and is on the market now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is, it's the Piaggo MP3. Have seen several articles online that talk about Can Am having a patent filing for a similiar system to the MP3. So the thinking is they may remake the spyder so it leans.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I saw the Piaggo MP3 demo'd at a dealer. The sales guy was riding it around in the parking lot with the front wheels doing all the weird angle stuff. It's about half to a third the size of the CanAm too. Guy said they get about 60 mpg too.

Mack

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I agree with the other old dude.. ;-) I like the looks of them too. Lots of them here in the mountains of NC.. I spoke to a guy I know recently that has one and multiple bikes.. More often than not he's riding the CanAm.. He says it's a helluva lot of fun... very relaxing to ride.. especially in the rain. Holds very well in the turns even with gravel. He can carry lots of chit and doesn't have to wear full body armor like he does when he's 2 wheelin' it. He says they take less concentration to ride. Like others here I can't see buying one until Im too old to ride a real motorcycle...

One thing about the TV ads that irks me, but is probably a good biz move... The ad agency is doing it's best to get potential customers to think of them as easier-to-ride bikes...Did you notice that in one microsecond frame of film, the CanAm is going down the road and the motorcycle wave goes out to an oncoming bike as if to say.. "yes..we're one of you guys."

I generally wave at all bikes that I pass, but I NEVER ever think of the CanAm rider as a motorcyclist...To each his own.. They look fun to me. If we were still raking in money like we were pre-Obamanomics.. I'd buy one for my wife to run errands on and then ride it on the days that I wasn't feeling mentally 100% to ride my bike..

chuckwilmot said:
I really like the looks of them. I think they look really cool, but I admit that could be because I'm an old guy! Having said that, I already would expect to be disappointed if I rode one. I have in mind that they would feel heavy and hard to steer compared to a two-wheeler.

·
Registered
153 Posts
demo'd both

I have ridden both. Took the MP3 out at Bob's BMW for about an hour. Really something how much power Piaggio gets out of a little engine. No probs at all keeping up on the freeway. Plenty storage with a tunnel through the trunk to beneath the seat. The handling is nice and sure footed, though you can tell you have a lot of stuff up front. And that stuff is up high, too. Loads of linked mechanisms up under the front fairing. Had to wonder how much money you could tweak all up if you hit a hard pothole or if you got smacked in front. Probably cost a quick fortune. Even if you put on substantial miles, so that all those linkages wore themselves loose, you would be looking at a fortune to get it right. But here's the big gripe: You have three wheels at a stop only if you come upright and then flip a switch that throws in a dog. That dog comes out automagically when you rev the engine. So more than one guy has been sitting at a light, blipped the throttle, and fallen over. Don't forget to flip the switch as you come in to a stop, or make sure your stance is upright, else you will go over. Hope that solenoid doesn't fail. In short, you still need to have feet ready. So what's the advantage? Beats me.

The CanAm is way more powerful, far more robust up front, and you don't have to worry about falling over. The spread at front makes it feel far more stable than a trike on the corners. The one I rode was years ago -- it looks like they have improved the storage since then. Terific looking. The one I was on put me in the half dog position, which I am not a fan of leaning on your wrists. I guess if you really have a thing about not wanting to kick a sidestand down, then it's OK. But as the wife says every time I talk to her about getting a sidecar rig: "But it doesn't lean. What's the point?" What is the point? Every critter in nature, from birds to fish to dogs and cats to you name it leans on a turn. That's what gives a motorcycle its charm -- feels like a cheetah. Makes you feel like one with the machine. Why take that away?

The HD design with front two wheels leaning and low stance looks like a good idea. Haven't seen one in the flesh. But I can't see buying either the MP3 or the CanAm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts