BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picture taken looking in from the front, just above joint for 3 coolant hoses. I've done an oil change on my recent purchase of this 18 year old, 36,000 mi. bike and none of the mess has made it's way down to the lower engine. Only spotted the leak shown in the pictures looking for potentially old hoses. Anybody know what's leaking?

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
793 Posts
I'm going with crankcase breather hose. They tend to rot out in their old age.

Reactions: saddleman

·
Registered
2016 S1000 XR 2015 K1300 S
187 Posts
Valve cover. There's no gasket just really good RTV. BMW's spec was for something like this. The key to success is to put the RTV on the cover and assemble everything finger tight and then let it dry overnight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Looked it up and it looks exactly like the crankcase breather hose. Looks like it'll be a good time to flush the coolant and change the air filter. Most likely off season project. Big concern with riding out the rest of the year on it? Runs fine without leaking on exhaust, no smoking, smell. Risk to engine? Keeping an eye on oil level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll look into the valve cover. Hopefully it's an easier process than changing crankcase breather hose. I'm sure it'll still involve removal of a bunch of brittle parts!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Breather hose is certainly covered in oil though but $100 item combined with warning about several week long delivery time would like to avoid. Although wouldn't know exact leak source unless cleaned and run to find, which involves a least partial tedious reassembly. May just do both

·
Registered
187 Posts
So.... In both pictures the oil is forward and above the breather hose. Considering that airflow is to the rear this oil did not come from the breather hose. The valve cover is not hard, but order the hose so you have it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I'll do that. Valve cover seal easier than crankcase breather hose? Good video from Illinois club president on YouTube but definitely looks involved. Biggest concern is putting force on parts when disassembling

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks, I'll do that. Valve cover seal easier than crankcase breather hose? Good video from Illinois club president on YouTube but definitely looks involved. Biggest concern is putting force on parts when disassembling
I'd like to see the video, would you mind posting a link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts