BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found set of nice PIAA style lights at Wally World for $23.00. They are twins for the $300.00 PIAA lights and very bright. They are plastic housing with a metalic base and are black. Size is same as PIAA.

I would like to supplement my Tenzo lights and run these $23.00 lights in parallel with the Tenzos. All I need to do is place them between the Tenzos and tap into the harness.

Question is how is this going to affect the battery and can the relay handle the additional current load on the battery side contacts.

Does anyone know approx what the wattage would be for 4 PIAA style driving lights?

For the price I am impressed. I can see no point in spending over ten times as much for a brand name...

For all your information the Brand name of these inexpensive lights is Rally Manufacturing No3062 Lazer White H.I.D. style driving lights....they are for cars

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
piaa style lights

would need to know the bulb sizes in them to figure the needed current, as in the wattage of the light bulbs themsleves. They will be adequate, you give up a better reflector and lens and usually an aluminum housing to go with the cheaper versions. Some have a tendancy to overheat when sitting still with no airflow and melt and deform the reflector or housing and lens or all three so be mindfull of that. Especially in the summer. And only use same size/wattage bulbs as they are designed for nothing more than that. Chances are your relay is big enough and the wiring too but need more info. Thats why I went with the Catz aluminum housings, glass lens and decent reflector, takes standard gm low beam style bulbs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Piaa Style Lamp Wattage

dkeven said:
would need to know the bulb sizes in them to figure the needed current, as in the wattage of the light bulbs themsleves. They will be adequate, you give up a better reflector and lens and usually an aluminum housing to go with the cheaper versions. Some have a tendancy to overheat when sitting still with no airflow and melt and deform the reflector or housing and lens or all three so be mindfull of that. Especially in the summer. And only use same size/wattage bulbs as they are designed for nothing more than that. Chances are your relay is big enough and the wiring too but need more info. Thats why I went with the Catz aluminum housings, glass lens and decent reflector, takes standard gm low beam style bulbs.
They look to be the 55 watt bulbs that are in the Tenzo...and by the way the reflector is a very heavy (heat distributing) glass with the bulb and ceramic base molded right into the reflector. The contact pins come out of that assembly and are inserted into another ceramic block with the 14 to 16 gauge wires riveted inside. There is another metal ring holding the glass reflector in the plastic. The lens is a very thick clear plastic....

·
Registered
567 Posts
rough guide is 10 amps for 2 55 watt bulbs and can be powered by 14 gauge wire. if you are running 4 55 watt bulbs you should have 12 gauge wire at least up to the relays and 14 gauge to each light. the relay should be 20 amp rated minimum. and I would fuse the wire from the battery for 10 amp for 14 gauge wire and 20 amp for 12 gauge wire.

·
Registered
39 Posts
2 set fog lights

Gidday,

Just installed 2 sets 55 watt fog lights. separate relay on each set.

One high beam and the 2nd low beam.

Very good spotting those kangaroos

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts