BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While waiting for 'normal times' to return, I'll start my K1200S and let it run for 5 min or so on its center stand. Twice there has been a quantity of oil (1/2 cup or so) on the ground under the front of the bike. With the fairing off the oil came before the engine, so I'm assuming the oil cooler. Today I did the same start up and--no oil leak. The dip stick in the oil tank shows normal level. Another assumption is that there is a thermostat that opens to allow the oil to return to the oil tank. Is it possible for the oil cooler to overflow if the thermostat doesn't open and the running engine is still pumping oil into the oil cooler? As always, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dear Philinnc,

Yes, there is a possibility that your clamps have loosened or been over tightened to cut the rubber hose to the cooler.....

The more likely culprit......You have been a good operator of your machine and regularly drain the "Air Box" Oil drain line and have been adamant about regular air filter changes?

We have customers that say: Oh! you're suppose to drain that???? lol. Especially the ones who put K/N Air filters in...... Then the Oil really accumulates and sticks on the back side of the Filters, then you really start causing your engine problems with Air Fuel Ratios.

You should be draining this everytime you do an air filter or oil filter change. The drain comes out the left side near the horn, forward of the Coolant tank, under the LH side fairing.

Happy Hunting

Product Motor vehicle Font Gas Technology

Font Parallel Auto part Diagram Slope

·
Registered
407 Posts
Dear Philinnc,

Yes, there is a possibility that your clamps have loosened or been over tightened to cut the rubber hose to the cooler.....

The more likely culprit......You have been a good operator of your machine and regularly drain the "Air Box" Oil drain line and have been adamant about regular air filter changes?

We have customers that say: Oh! you're suppose to drain that???? lol. Especially the ones who put K/N Air filters in...... Then the Oil really accumulates and sticks on the back side of the Filters, then you really start causing your engine problems with Air Fuel Ratios.

You should be draining this everytime you do an air filter or oil filter change. The drain comes out the left side near the horn, forward of the Coolant tank, under the LH side fairing.

Happy Hunting

View attachment 31174

View attachment 31173
Whick part do you mean need draining that is not mentioned in the Bmw manual? the part circled in red?

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,264 Posts
That part circled in red, air box drain, has a hose leading forward by the radiator and it has a plug in the end of the hose for draining as needed. (I have never found oil in there). 100 ml is a fair amount of fluid. What color is it and what does it smell like?

·
Registered
K1300GT SE / GSX1400 / LRD4
103 Posts
If its light and clear it will be hydraulic fluid from the front shock, however that holds only about 60cc IIRC. If darker it will be engine oil, cooler being a likely suspect, the connections into the radiator are brazed on, and can fail from vibration.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Another place to check is the Right side front corner of valve cover gasket for a leak, over time they can leak especially if the bike been sitting a while and it’s the original gasket.
. Best diagnosed with bike running and fairings taken off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another place to check is the Right side front corner of valve cover gasket for a leak, over time they can leak especially if the bike been sitting a while and it’s the original gasket.
. Best diagnosed with bike running and fairings taken off.
Voila! I removed the right side fairing, started up and there was a leak exactly there--the front right side corner! And there is a video showing how to remove/replace it--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6VBy0vRppI. Appears fairly straightforward--fingers crossed!

·
Registered
169 Posts
In addition to the valve cover gasket You need to replace the rubber grommets that are on the valve cover bolts otherwise it will leak again.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that I know where the leak is, I'm surprised at the number of posts where the same leak happened. Is this the second most common problem after the famous fuel strip? Just looking ahead!

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,264 Posts
Also change the "internal" cover gasket. This is the point where the cam chain whips off oil and thus if the gasket is going to leak it would be here most likely. Study up on radiator refilling. Be careful prying out the three secondary air lines in the top of the cover. Work them evenly. Lube them a bit with some rubber lube or oring grease for installation. It is a bit of a complicated job just for a gasket. If your inclined it is a good time to check your valve clearances as you be staring them in the face.
And use a real coil puller to remove the coils. Too easy to damage.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Also There are two points that require the application of gasket sealant around the area of the water pump. I’ll post shortly in case you don’t have the Reprom dvd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts