BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 came w/o a centerstand. Can I just buy one and fit it? Well? Can I?

·
Registered
107 Posts
It can be done. However, you will need to do some cutting to the under belly pan yourself. AFAIK the marking is already there to guide you.

·
Registered
730 Posts
They are good for oiling and adjusting your chain.:) (and cleaning your wheel afterwards)

Oops...flashback!

Got I love a shaftdrive powered bike!

:D

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you have a Dremel and a spring puller (hooked steel rod with wooden handle on end) you can do it yourself. The template is aleady on the belly pan for cutting and it's so inconspicuous you don't even need to be careful. Without a spring puller or metal hook-like device its nearly impossible. Some full exhaust systems aren't compatible with it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know anything about spring pullers but an old mechanic taught me how to stretch the springs on the centerstand for my guzzi.

Get a friend, couple of vice grips and a pocket full of pennies or washers. Clamp on to the ends of the spring and flex it over. One side of the spring will expand enough to allow your buddy to jam some pennies in the gaps. Let go and turn it over and do the other side. Soon enough, you'll have a fairly expanded spring (and muscles like popeye from flexing the spring) that you can just fit over both the post on the bike and the post on the centerstand. Then all you have to do is put the center stand up and down a few times and the coins will fall out by themselves. If not, you've got your handy vice grips right there. Any coinage will work, but it won't be accepted by vending machines at your finer establishments afterward.

I'm sure you experienced shop guys already knew this or have some dedicated tool in your well stocked garage. For me, it was one of those AHHHhhhha moments.

Of course, the BMW probably has some sort of pneumaticly activated spring mechanism that makes all this irrelevant.

·
Registered
434 Posts
mattlamotte said:
Get a friend, couple of vice grips and a pocket full of pennies or washers...
I'm afraid this will not work for mounting the centerstand of the K-S because there are 2 springs one *in* another :(

Manfred

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh. Well, perhaps then a pocket full of dollars would work better.

·
Registered
505 Posts
mattlamotte said:
Oh. Well, perhaps then a pocket full of dollars would work better.
Actually, my dealer installed mine for a labor charge of $36. IMO, it was money well spent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts