BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 GT that was recharging just fine (have one of the fancy BMW canbus approved chargers). The bike would charge and the light would move to 3/3 on the charger.

My problem is that after I upgraded the bike to 7.0, it would only charge to 2/3. I took the bike back and they have now upgraded to 7.1 The charger will not move off the red 1/3 level.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what was the fix. Any guesses?

Thanks all for the help. By the way, I am using the instructions that call for you to turn the bike powere on for 5 seconds, connect the charger, and then leave bike power on for 15 seconds to ensure charger is recognized.

Help

·
Registered
838 Posts
Did you consider the charger may be "exercising" the battery and that this is normal? You do need leave it for at least 36-48 hours in my experience for it to "settle down".

I'd be VERY surprised if the charging function was at all related to software version, but hey you never know.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skiziks

Thanks for quick response. Left it on for 36 hours and it never moved off the red since the software upgrade.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have three of these chargers and four CAN bus bikes. The only bike that the charger works properly on is the R1200S. On that bike it goes through all stages and will cycle over the days. It will also give the blinking 1/3 red light when it sulfates. On the other three bikes I only get one charge cycle (all lights through 3/3) and then it shuts off. At the end of charging the last light or the first light may remain lit but there is no charging going on as evidenced by monitoring the battery voltage with a digital voltmeter (voltage slowly goes down with time). I believe the chargers did work on the original K12S factory software load but not after the first upgrade so it may indeed be a software issue.

·
Registered
838 Posts
wyeknott said:
I have three of these chargers and four CAN bus bikes. The only bike that the charger works properly on is the R1200S. On that bike it goes through all stages and will cycle over the days. It will also give the blinking 1/3 red light when it sulfates. On the other three bikes I only get one charge cycle (all lights through 3/3) and then it shuts off. At the end of charging the last light or the first light may remain lit but there is no charging going on as evidenced by monitoring the battery voltage with a digital voltmeter (voltage slowly goes down with time). I believe the chargers did work on the original K12S factory software load but not after the first upgrade so it may indeed be a software issue.

Very interesting. Mine "appears" to be working fine on my V 6.0 GT2.

It will be interesting see what comes of this. Please keep us posted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Canbus

Will keep everyone posted as this progresses.

As you say SKIZIKS - mine worked fine - cycled through all 3 stages when i was on the V 6 software. With V 7 changes i am losing charging cycles. The other interesting issue is that I have a 2006 KS that I upgraded from the V. 6 to V.7 and have not had any problems with the charger - go figure?????

Will be speaking to the shop tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts