BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By this weekend, I want to install my Thomas Air Compressor on the GT. No self-respecting LD rider leaves home without one. :) Just like the LT, the perfect place for it is where the cannister is currently setting. So, it's gotta go! Am I the first? Any advise?

(FYI: the cannister is right behind the coolant overflow reservoir.)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Joe, you're going to give BMW technicians everywhere heart burn :D and don't get me started with the EPA (regulatory compliance is my life and no I don't talk about it at parties). As sensitive as most computized engine management systems are today, removing or disabiling emission control components can certainly have a negative effect on performance and it's bound to set off some type of fault code in the system. BUT...maybe everything will work just fine without it. If you do remove it, please share the results.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John06KGT said:
If you do remove it, please share the results.
As soon as s/w ver 7.x is released, I'll take the GT in to have it put on the Moronic. I'll report back my tech's findings.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If I got your message right, you haven't had the software update yet. I'm not having any particular issues with slow speed rpm or surging so I'm going to hold off. Do you know if the problems exist from the beginning or do they start out minor and work up to major? The only reason I ask is that my dealer isn't recommending it unless you're having problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is correct. I have not received any upgrades to my GT since purchasing. Although, I have heard that 7.0 didn't do everything that it was supposed to do, so you can bet there will be another soon to follow (7.1?). In fact, rumor has it that the GT-1 is due for a complete makeover.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
messenger13 said:
In fact, rumor has it that the GT-1 is due for a complete makeover.
I really hope the makeover is more than just electronic! :D

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
milkman said:
I really hope the makeover is more than just electronic! :D
Umm...the "GT-1" in which I speak of is NOT the bike. Not that you should care. The only view you'll ever see of my GT is the tail lights getting smaller...and smaller......and smaller.........and............

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
Howdy Joe, and those interested,

I've had the canister removed from the K-R for about a year now with no ill effects. Essentially it's the same routine as the "brick". A bit more cumbersome to get to than on the LT though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What is it?

messenger13 said:
By this weekend, I want to install my Thomas Air Compressor on the GT.)[/i]
Not being an LT rider - what is a Thomas Air Compressor? And where do you buy them? When I did a web search the only thing that came up was an industrial manufacturer/
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WMD said:
Not being an LT rider - what is a Thomas Air Compressor? And where do you buy them?
I install one on every bike that I own. Model 115, IIRC. It's a small, quiet, but fast 12V American-made compressor that fits into small places rather conveniently. Below are pics of one installed on my K1200LT.

I buy them on eBay. Along with the hoses, quick-disconnects, and air chucks. The last 2 that I bought cost me about $60 along with all of the associated hardware. I just did an eBay search and couldn't find any. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
What is it for?

Like WMD I'm lost too. What is it for? Sorry, I'm a little slow about this stuff.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OdysseyMed said:
Like WMD I'm lost too. What is it for? Sorry, I'm a little slow about this stuff.
Call it "cheap insurance". The chances of you getting a flat tire practically diminish to nothing if you carry a tire repair kit, and have an air compressor on-board.

The very first ride I took with my LT after installing my compressor, I showed a friend riding his new Honda Shadow. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "I haven't had a flat in over 30 years of riding.". It wasn't an hour later that he was pulling off the road with a rear flat tire. I pulled up along side of him, he just grinned and said, "Hey Joe. About that fancy air compressor...". Five minutes later, we were on our way again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
thomas thingy

Hi Joe,

Did an Ebay search for this, but came up with loads of other stuff. Can you give me a model number and any other info. WWW site would be good, and the setup you use. Do you pipe in permanant? Do you use a short pipe with a quick connect? How does this setup work with the LT? How about the GT? I'm sure I wont be the only UK rider to bow down before your encyclopedic knowledge.

Cheers Guru,

Brian :)

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
I just carry my compressor in a saddle bag wrapped up in a shop rag. I added an on/off switch and wired a BMW male socket to it. The chuck end is a grip type with a lever that pushes down and holds it to the valve stem.

These neat, little compressors are used industrially, I believe mine was the compressor for a long haul truck seat. They are very small and will inflate a tire real quick so you don't want to get it running and walk off. Works better than buying one at Wally World and stripping the plastic off it and smaller, too.

They go pretty quick on Ebay, so you can't always find them.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pipenslippers said:
Hi Joe,

Did an Ebay search for this, but came up with loads of other stuff. Can you give me a model number and any other info. WWW site would be good, and the setup you use. Do you pipe in permanant? Do you use a short pipe with a quick connect? How does this setup work with the LT? How about the GT? I'm sure I wont be the only UK rider to bow down before your encyclopedic knowledge.

Cheers Guru,

Brian :)
Oh yea...NOW I'm a "guru". A couple a weeks ago, he had me as the Village Idiot. Which I am! But that's besides the point... ;)

Anywho...

All I can tell you is that I bought everything on eBay. It's a 12V Thomas air compressor. Model 115, IIRC. The quick-disconnects went right onto the compressor and air chuck. Just some 1/4" OD tubing to go from the compressor to the chuck. About 10' of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts