BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thank goodness for magneto ignitions, acetylene lights, wooden wheels and hand shifters. Where would we be without them😁

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am considering installing manual ignition advance on my K. Like the old Indians (motorcycles, not indigenous race). I could convert the left-hand handlebar grip*. I find it is far more controllable than the automatic one they install, which is the stuff of science-fiction. It's also great for curing the hot-start issue as it allows me to retard the ignition and make the bike easier to start if it's stalled, and it's also great for back-fires at the flick of a wrist.

(*and before any of you motorcycle nerds get your knickers in a twist, I know the ignition advance was on the right-hand grip, and the throttle was on the left hand grip on old Indians, but seeing as I'm using metric, I thought I'd convert it )

I may even go one step further and go full steam-punk by re-purposing one of the governors from my steam engine .

Light Lighting Lantern Lamp Wood

·
Registered
K1200R
51 Posts
I am considering installing manual ignition advance on my K. Like the old Indians (motorcycles, not indigenous race). I could convert the left-hand handlebar grip*. I find it is far more controllable than the automatic one they install, which is the stuff of science-fiction. It's also great for curing the hot-start issue as it allows me to retard the ignition and make the bike easier to start if it's stalled, and it's also great for back-fires at the flick of a wrist.

(*and before any of you motorcycle nerds get your knickers in a twist, I know the ignition advance was on the right-hand grip, and the throttle was on the left hand grip on old Indians, but seeing as I'm using metric, I thought I'd convert it )

I may even go one step further and go full steam-punk by re-purposing one of the governors from my steam engine .

View attachment 31122
Love your quote:
"Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are."
That is Dunning Kruger. It's an actual phenomenon. Google the 'Lemon Juice Robber'

·
Registered
K1200R
51 Posts
Love your quote:
"Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are."
That is Dunning Kruger. It's an actual phenomenon. Google the 'Lemon Juice Robber'
I know..it's off topic. Please don't moderate me!!:p

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
If you disagree with the entire industry, how can you be sure you're 100% right?
Which expert validated your assertion? Is it the voices? Or maybe David Icke?
Carburetors were phased out by asinine regulatory requirements, not the motorcycle or automotive industry. Putting EFI on bikes is fucking stupid.

There is an old Mercedes V8 with mechanical fuel pump that has a throttle response similar to a carburetor. Apparently it is terrible on fuel, but when you send it, it sends.

·
Registered
K1200R
51 Posts
Carburetors were phased out by asinine regulatory requirements, not the motorcycle or automotive industry. Putting EFI on bikes is fucking stupid.

There is an old Mercedes V8 with mechanical fuel pump that has a throttle response similar to a carburetor. Apparently it is terrible on fuel, but when you send it, it sends.
There is a bit of a tone to how you say it.
In short, you don't express it as an opinion. And infers that everyone else is wrong/stupid etc, including thousands of people with degrees, masters and PhDs in this and related subject matters, and/or with decades of knowledge each.
Surely some give here?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
There is a bit of a tone to how you say it.
In short, you don't express it as an opinion. And infers that everyone else is wrong/stupid etc, including thousands of people with degrees, masters and PhDs in this and related subject matters, and/or with decades of knowledge each.
Surely some give here?
You're right. If it weren't forced and asinine, I wouldn't be so bitter.

·
Registered
502 Posts
…There is an old Mercedes V8 with mechanical fuel pump that has a throttle response similar to a carburetor. Apparently it is terrible on fuel, but when you send it, it sends

???

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I had shit gas mileage (30mpg) since I got the bike until I upgraded the clutch cushion springs, allowing me to for the first time ever get 36mpg. I assume it threw the sensor out of whack, and that caused my EFI to run non-optimally.

A carburetor wouldn't have suffered from this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had shit gas mileage (30mpg) since I got the bike until I upgraded the clutch cushion springs, allowing me to for the first time ever get 36mpg. I assume it threw the sensor out of whack, and that caused my EFI to run non-optimally.

A carburetor wouldn't have suffered from this.
Once you've converted it please tell us how the consumption and performance compares (and the cost and time expended, of course). I suspect we'll all be genuinely interested if you do go for it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
…There is an old Mercedes V8 with mechanical fuel pump that has a throttle response similar to a carburetor. Apparently it is terrible on fuel, but when you send it, it sends

???
The Mercedes M100 V8 engine. They put it into the ridiculous grosser, as well as the 300 SEL. IT uses a mechanical fuel injection pump system, apparently it's ridiculously complicated to work on, however it offers better throttle response than pretty much any engine today.

I can't find the original video that specifically talks about it, but this video gives you an idea:

Here's Jay Leno talking about his 300SEL:

at 8:35 he mentions how it pulls unlike any other mercedes-benz, but chaulks it off to nostalgia. It's actually the mechanical fuel injection which, when asked, sends.

EFI is for people content to live in a simulation. Digital anything sacrifices temporal resolution for whatever else engineers might want. It's not for bikes.

Once you've converted it please tell us how the consumption and performance compares (and the cost and time expended, of course). I suspect we'll all be genuinely interested if you do go for it.
A carburetor conversion isn't feasible. It would have to be developed in house by BMW, and that requires changing laws made by retards, and convincing a brainwashed population to spit out their cool-aid, and trying to reason with environmental lunatics who's idea of being reasonable is not self-immolating during workdays.

I'm still curious about the feasibility.

·
Registered
502 Posts
M100 engine in a 300 SEL 6.3
Engine

I’m missing your logic here (again). You’re praising a fuel injected car. By contrast this a 4.2 litre Audi with electronic fuel injection
206 kW (280 PS; 276 bhp)
@ 5,800
400 N⋅m (295 lbf⋅ft)
@ 4,000
produces more power from an EFI motor that’s 33% smaller. The main reason that the 1765 kg Mercedes is quick is pure cubic inches tho’ its still substantially slower in top speed and acceleration than the 1770 kg Audi

41 - 60 of 61 Posts