BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!! I may have screwed up...

I removed the right side CS stand stud with a 6mm allen and when I tried to removed the left side...it came out about half way and then STOPPED!

I took it to a local auto repair shop and asked him to put the impact on it for me...well the head is now stripped out.

I tried to tap a Torx head into the stud allen head and I ended up driving the head of the stud back into the countersunk position the stud sits in when tight...and now the head spins and their seems to be a compression nut spinning behind the frame.

How bad did I screw up?

I was thinking I could tap the compression nut back into the hole and use an easy out, but figured I should ask before I took that route.

Thanks!!

Mark

·
Registered
357 Posts
So you "tapped" the screw back in?....... You are boned :spank1:
That is a $13 metal-threaded bushing..part #46 52 7 691 633 (#2 on the diagram)

I assume it's still on the bike? The bushing has a notch/shoulder on it that corresponds to the black bracket that is sandwiched between the frame and stand. The only way the bushing would spin is either without the black bracket(#1) or you sheared the "keyed" mating surfaces of both (doubtful but not impossible I would think). The stand rotates on two O-rings on the bushing (2 each side).
Normally, you back out the screw half-way then tap it to push the bushing out of the bore. Can you drill the head off then use a punch to push the bushing through? When you tapped it did you push the bearing in the bore (good) or did you drive the screw in stripping the threads (bad) ? Hopefully, you pushed the bore and should be able to push it through. You can put it in a vice and get the screw out...which saves the bushing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Those bolts are "one use" then renew I replaced mine with stainless ones which are harder and the head wont strip, medium strength threadlock and away you go, I bought slightly longer bolts and put a half nut on to lock it in place. I know it's a belt and braces approach but that just me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts