BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing a minor but still not cheap failure. Rode into work today. Stopped for gas. Used the center stand during the fill up and it's business as usual. Pull into my parking space at work and proceed to park on the center stand and half way through the step, lift and rotate process my foot hits the ground and the bike plunks back down.......and thankfully stays vertical. The center stand extension arm for stepping down and leveraging the bike up snapped off at the weld for the angle brace tube.

As failures go this one was nicely uneventful. I considered buying a new center stand but after checking the price and knowing that the new one will most likely someday fail unexpectanty I'm just going to repair this one. My plan is to take a hardened steel rod and grind and shape it so just fits within the tube and extends into each side at least 2 inches. Then I'll cross drill about one inch on each side of the break and drive a pin through the tube and rod. Mig weld the joint and tack weld each side of the pins. A little paint and it should be much better than new.

I'm thinking that I may just hunkerdown over the Labor Day holiday and besides fixing the center stand, I'll check the valve adjustment, cam sprocket bolts and cam bearing cap nuts. I also need to add a direct to battery accessory socket for my battery charger. Shoud be a fun weekend! :teeth

John

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Yep, BTDT.

See this thread for details of my repair.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken, thanks for the link. My center stand failure is absolutely identical to all three of yours and to others. Your fix is just as identical to what I had in mind. BTW, when the stand broke this morning I immediately blamed you. After my road trip to the midwest in July, I decided to take your lead and continue to use the KGT as my exclusive daily communter. I figured if you can do it so can I. So for the last 6 weeks rain and shine that's what I did and I was getting pretty smug about the how much money I was saving in fuel while reducing our dependency on foreign oil. Then the center stand broke and screwed up my whole Zen thing. :wtf:

While it's nothing new, I'll go ahead post pictures of the before and after.

Thanks again for the link.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts