BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any ever had more than one center stand replaced? Mine has broken 3 times now--all in the same spot right after the weld on the angle brace to the bar where one steps to lift the bike on the center stand.

Unfortunately the Area Field Rep is starting down the path that I am doing something wrong. They keep bringing up that mine "has the redesigned" center stand, but my recollection is that the "redesign" had to to with the stops and not this particular issue.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
bmwtaxman said:
Has any ever had more than one center stand replaced? Mine has broken 3 times now--all in the same spot right after the weld on the angle brace to the bar where one steps to lift the bike on the center stand.

Unfortunately the Area Field Rep is starting down the path that I am doing something wrong. They keep bringing up that mine "has the redesigned" center stand, but my recollection is that the "redesign" had to to with the stops and not this particular issue.

Thanks.
I think your recollection is correct. Mine got tagged in large "red" large type on both Sierra BMW and Ozzie's computers to check the centerstand (stops) when they went to the VIN number. Nothing was done as nothing was bent, but I use the plywood square on the floor beneath the rear tire to help the thing onto the centerstand too. It can be a bit of a grunt if all the bags and truck are loaded.

If your welds are breaking, that's an issue for BMW AG. The stand on the K1300 appears to be a bit different in design than the 1200 when I was looking at them. I personally think the stand is a bit flimsy as mine will wiggle around at times and I sort of wonder if I should grab it or run from it once it gets up on it and begins to shimmy.

Good luck with the area rep.

Mack

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
bmwtaxman said:

Thanks.
How in the hell do you use a center stand incorrectly? That just sounds silly to me. Short of removing it for cave excavation activities it seems a hard thing to do. Request that he meet you at the shop and have him demonstrate proper usage and you demonstrate your method of usage. That should solve the debate either way in about 30 seconds.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I'm with David on that.

This "Area Rep" wouldn't also happen to be an Asian guy that couldn't get the reddish K1300 (R or S) to start and stay running (two months?) at the dealer in Bakersfield, CA would it?

If it's his idea that *YOU* are the problem for breaking welds, then the brand is doomed. Good grief! :yeow:

Mack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DavidTaylor said:
How in the hell do you use a center stand incorrectly? That just sounds silly to me. Short of removing it for cave excavation activities it seems a hard thing to do. Request that he meet you at the shop and have him demonstrate proper usage and you demonstrate your method of usage. That should solve the debate either way in about 30 seconds.
My thoughts exactly. I have used the center stand only one way for the last 21 years--10 on my r90 (after my dad used it for 12) and my k75s for 8 years without a single problem--which is exactly how it is described in the GT manual--put your" right foot on the extended arm of the center stand" and "place full weight of body center stand while pulling mtorcycle toward rear." (Of course I recognize the the r90s was a different style but the concept of full weight and lifting is the same.)

Only problem of having him demonstrate to me the "proper" method is that my stand is broken and they only have the K1300GTs at San Jose--and so far he won't authorize the repair.

·
Registered
353 Posts
bmwtaxman said:
My thoughts exactly. I have used the center stand only one way for the last 21 years--10 on my r90 (after my dad used it for 12) and my k75s for 8 years without a single problem--which is exactly how it is described in the GT manual--put your" right foot on the extended arm of the center stand" and "place full weight of body center stand while pulling mtorcycle toward rear." (Of course I recognize the the r90s was a different style but the concept of full weight and lifting is the same.)

Only problem of having him demonstrate to me the "proper" method is that my stand is broken and they only have the K1300GTs at San Jose--and so far he won't authorize the repair.
According to the dealer, will the K1300 center stand fit the K1200? If so they should approve the replacement with the stand that was designed correcltly, no questions asked. This is an issue known to every dealer, at least according to one, who says he's seen a lot of broken center stands on the GT.

I've ordered a K1300 dog bone to replace the one in my K1200GT. It's a preemptive replacement, since it hasn't failed, but I really don't want to find myself in the middle of nowhere without a suspension. Wonder how many more mission critical parts have been redesigned on the K1300, engine excepted.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
howfly said:
...Wonder how many more mission critical parts have been redesigned on the K1300, engine excepted.
The missed the handlebar switch gear for some reason as being critical. :rotf:

Mack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
howfly said:
According to the dealer, will the K1300 center stand fit the K1200? If so they should approve the replacement with the stand that was designed correcltly, no questions asked. This is an issue known to every dealer, at least according to one, who says he's seen a lot of broken center stands on the GT.
That was my first question. I still do not have an answer. However, they said it would void the warranty since it is not designed for the bike.

·
IBR# 366
3,154 Posts
Well, count me in. I've just had my third center stand break, right at the weld as you have described. This pic is the first one that broke:

The second and now third center stands have all broken at that exact same spot.

It is due to a poor design that puts all the stress right at the end of the weld brace, and possibly poor welding (or at least not properly heat-treating the part to minimize these stresses right at the weld location).

The new K1300GT's do have a redesigned center stand, with a different foot lever and a different brace welded on in a different manner.

It does look much more robust. It also looks like it would be a direct bolt-on replacement, although I haven't yet been able to compare the two side-by-side on a bench or to try and fit one up on a bike.

The other problem, which actually made it to a Service Bulletin is the weak stops. This manifests when the stops bend under stress allowing the center stand to rotate too far forward. Note how the center stand is angled forward instead of being vertical, and the feet aren't sitting flat on the ground:

These are clearly two distinct problems, although it is possible to have both occur on the same bike (lucky me). It's especially annoying when you have a trip-loaded bike, no center stand foot tab, and bent stops such that even if you do manage to get it on the center stand, the rear tire is still on the ground. And then you need to pull the rear wheel to get a new tire fitted so you can make it the rest of the way home . . .

As for the local rep, simply remind him that all BMW parts come with a two-year warranty, so unless you broke it more than two years ago it should be replaced without question, at least with the original K12 part. You're on your own for getting them to fit the K13 part . . .

·
Registered
478 Posts
Those pics of the broken stand foot are nasty. Had the recall done on my stand for the bigger stop. So far its looks ok. Did they break at the weld or did the bracing tube just crack? "They all do that" :ghug:

·
Registered
478 Posts
howfly said:
I've ordered a K1300 dog bone to replace the one in my K1200GT. It's a preemptive replacement, since it hasn't failed, but I really don't want to find myself in the middle of nowhere without a suspension. Wonder how many more mission critical parts have been redesigned on the K1300, engine excepted.
Humm, I thought the the dagbone failures were confined to the UK where they use lots of sand and salt on the roads which apparently caused the bushing in the dogbone to fail with catastrophic results. There was a recall for this for UK registered bikes.

·
IBR# 366
3,154 Posts
pmorritt said:
Did they break at the weld or did the bracing tube just crack?
It breaks just at the end of the welded brace. Which is where the stress is concentrated, and where the metal is weakest because of the weld heating.

My local dealer said that the new K13Gt center stand will bolt right up, but that there are none available anywhere in the US or Germany at the moment. :(

I think I'm just gonna weld mine up and brace it properly.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Paul_C said:
Same here. I pluged it with some steel bar and brazed it up. Been OK so far...
Nice job! You should be able to make quite a living doing this for everyone on this forum.

However, you added 6 oz. to the weight of the bike. :yeow:

·
Registered
166 Posts
pmorritt said:
Those pics of the broken stand foot are nasty. Had the recall done on my stand for the bigger stop. So far its looks ok. Did they break at the weld or did the bracing tube just crack? "They all do that" :ghug:
Broke just by the weld with the triangulated brace. You can see on both pictures some evidence of corrosion setting in before the break. I guess this is a combination of the after effects of the weld in a stressful situation and a hairline crack developing etc. The same thing happened to a R1100RT I had. Luckily mine went on a "normal day" and I held onto the bike with no problems. I could easily have been loaded up and on an uneven surface.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me broke in the same spot at the weld now i noticed that the new one that i got a year ago is not sitting level like Kens pic. I think they should replace the broken ones with the beefier 1300GTs if mine falls due to this they will pay. I am not due for service till october i am not wasting my summer with my bike in the shop they will fix it than. :(

·
IBR# 366
3,154 Posts
I've finally solved the center stand problem once and for all. I looked at a K13GT center stand (which should bolt right up, by the way), but there were none in stock in the US or Germany. But since I was at a friend's house with a decent shop and lots of fun welding equipment, I just scratched my head and grabbed some scrap steel plate. It ain't the prettiest, but I don't think this'll break again. :)

The first pic shows the thick steel pipe that I turned on a lathe to go inside the broken hollow pipe. The holes drilled through were welded back up to make the insert and the center stand one solid piece.

This pic shows the finished product, with an external brace welded on. A rattle can of gloss black and we're good to go.

I also wanted to make sure that the new & improved center stand would actually stay on the bike without hassle. The center stand stops are stamped from too-thin plate metal so they can bend pretty easily, causing this to happen:

So I added some braces to thicken up those stops and give the center stand a more solid place to rest against. This is the right side center stand stop, after the bracing plate has been welded on (and the rattle can). Note the new, thick section along the whole middle area.

And this is the left side stop, also with the extra brace welded in. Note the extra thickness at the top of the bracket (in this view). That is what the center stand will rest against when it is deployed.

And to top it all off, I added a little thickness and a lot more surface area to the side stand by welding on another plate. In case your'e wondering, the plate doesn't interfere with anything on the bike. Nor does it scrape, even when the pegs are down hard. :D

Like I said, it ain't pretty, but now it sure is solid.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Excellent work Ken! You really made it more robust, great idea to the side stand, I don't like using mine too much due to it's pointiness.

Well done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice metal work !

Nice work Ken - thanks for sharing it with us. Pretty is not a requirement for side or center stands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Sorry it has taken so long to get back with an update--I had to wait for the part to arrive.

My dealer ended up doing a PUMA which came back with the 2009 centerstand part no. as the required replacement part. The PUMA process has effectively cancelled out the local rep wanting to "show" me how to use a BMW centerstand after 20 some years.

Since it was a 2009 stand I had to wait a while before there was stock available. It is finally being installed. I will hold my breath on this particular design. At least it looks like BMW is finally paying attention to the stress engineers!

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts