BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I recently traded in my old GS having got her to 103,000 and bought a 1 owner K1300GT which is 12 years old but only has 30,000on the clock... my problem is that I cannot get her on the centre stand. I started to think it was me! but I am used to riding very heavy bikes and so took it to my local BMW dealer here in Cheltenham who also struggled abd they said it is a design fault with the stand!
does anyone know of a mod or work around? or am I stuck with just using the side stand which is a bugger for maintenance and cleaning
cheers
Rob

·
Registered
225 Posts
Try this
(Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.)
If that doesn't work then there is a problem There is no issue with the GT stand that I remember from any of the forums, so I'd conclude there is something wrong, otherwise we would have heard of it (like all the usual issues). I've a K1200Gt and have no issues getting it on the stand, I'm 6'

I am slow to recommend a mod as I'd be 99% sure there is something wrong with your stand that should be fixed.
One thing that will make it harder is a shorter rear suspension. Is it the OEM shock?
Also, to contradict myself, rising the rear end using an aftermarket 25mm set of plates will make it easier to put on the stand. But again, I'd try and find the problem first.

Pictures of the underside would help. Also your height.

·
Registered
2009 K1300GT
19 Posts
Being somewhat shorter doesn't help, I'm 68" and got the lowering links for the rear; even without them and with the suspension set to one rider it was a significant challenge to get on the center stand. The lift handle of the K75S I have certainly helps, but the K1300 is both heavier and that weight is well forward of the stand, plus the height of the rear grab handle doesn't let you apply much lift. The old airheads, easy. The K brick, not so bad. The transverse K, expletives come out! For the times I need it upright I roll the back wheel up on to a 1" board, then it's not much of a problem to get up. If I don't have the stand on carpet in the garage, getting if off is even more entertaining as it will slide forward on a smooth garage floor! More than once I've put a 2x4 in front of it with my wife standing on the other side (again because the board will also slip) to push back on the stand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try this
(Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.)
If that doesn't work then there is a problem There is no issue with the GT stand that I remember from any of the forums, so I'd conclude there is something wrong, otherwise we would have heard of it (like all the usual issues). I've a K1200Gt and have no issues getting it on the stand, I'm 6'

I am slow to recommend a mod as I'd be 99% sure there is something wrong with your stand that should be fixed.
One thing that will make it harder is a shorter rear suspension. Is it the OEM shock?
Also, to contradict myself, rising the rear end using an aftermarket 25mm set of plates will make it easier to put on the stand. But again, I'd try and find the problem first.

Pictures of the underside would help. Also your height.
Morning
I am 6ft tall and weigh 78kg... I have had heavy bikes before and even when my old GS was fully loaded with luggage (and my wif) I could pop that up on the stand but this is a pig! even the guys at the BMW dealer struggled and it was them that said the K1300GT has a 'reputation' for being difficult due to the stand size... I find this hard to believe as why would you design a stand that doesn't work and that's why I am turning to you guys... it might be that there is a specific technique to popping it up? the stand and suspension and all of the bike is OEM no mods... would it be possible for someone to video themselves putting their K1300GT on its stand and sending it to me?
many thanks
Rob

·
Premium Member
K1300GT
30 Posts
My 2009 K1300GT is hard to get it up on the center stand & it is also hard to get it back down. I have to ride the rear tire up on a 2x6". I'm in the process of shorting the stand.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
545 Posts
I have a 2009 K1300GT and I'm 68 and 5'8". I don't have any issues putting mine on the center stand. I just use the rear grab handle, left handle bar grip and put all of my weight on the kickstand and pull up and back. I did have the issue with the bike sliding on the smooth garage floor, so I glued a thin welcome mat to the floor and center the bike on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A number of years ago a K1300gt owner was making the stands a little shorter and finding it easier. I use a piece of 3/4" plywood with a beveled edge to get the rear tire on and then use the stand. My mechanic just makes sure the stand touches on both sides and lifts the bike up using the handle by the seat and handle bar. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am concerned that my stand might b
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

e bent... I have taken some photos (attached) when on the centre stand it seems to lean backward... the feet dont seem to be flat on the floor ... thoughts?

·
IBR# 366
3,223 Posts
Your centerstand isn't bent, but the thin metal stop brackets are. See parts #2 (46 52 7 691 635) and #3 (46 52 7 691 632) in this picture:

You can buy these parts from BMW for about $130 and replace them, but eventually they will bend again.

What I did was go to a friend's shop and weld more material to these thin metal plates to make them stronger, then they never bent again. :cool:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had a K100RS for 12 years, now a K1300GT for 5.5. Neither was difficult FOR ME to get on the centerstand (and K100s were well known to smoke on startup if you used the sidestand). But the back story is that I'm six foot six and weigh 285 pounds almost exactly half the bike weight. Had a pal pick up a K100LT and being of slight stature he called me to ask about the difficulty he found getting it up on the stand... and he was a successful indie Volvo tech.

There is definitely a "proper" sequence to getting the K13 on the stand, and I've done it barefoot when I've moved the bike around the garage. Left hand on left grip, right hand on the left side passenger grab rail, right foot holding the centerstand on the floor. You have to "rock" the bike ever so slightly on the suspension, (lean forward into the front suspension) then UP SHE GOES onto the centerstand in a single motion, nice and easy.

This is "just one of those things" that this bike needs, like preloading the shifter before you change a gear, not shifting to neutral at stoplights, and never taking your hand off the throttle at stoplights and letting the bike idle on its own (so it's less likely to hot stall).

It's well possible that a mod to $shorten the centerstand will work for you, as will rolling the back wheel on a 1x6 before you go for the stand, and not changing the suspension to a low setting.

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,264 Posts
Also lube this thing. It is difficult to remove and replace to do a good grease job, cheat and spray lube with a true lubricant every few couple of months in the riding season. Good job with the bent bracket call.

Reactions: rob82176

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi All,
I recently traded in my old GS having got her to 103,000 and bought a 1 owner K1300GT which is 12 years old but only has 30,000on the clock... my problem is that I cannot get her on the centre stand. I started to think it was me! but I am used to riding very heavy bikes and so took it to my local BMW dealer here in Cheltenham who also struggled abd they said it is a design fault with the stand!
the GS nearly falls on its centre stand - even at 6"3' and 110kg you have to work HARD to get a K1300GT on its centre stand - personally if you feel how much you have to work just to get it off the side stand - I'd say its just a heavy f****er

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm 5' 8", 150lbs, 58 years old, and more puny than I used to be... I push the front wheel up onto a 2x6 board to get the bike a little higher off the ground. It makes a huge difference when I pull the bike back and up on the stand using the techniques described above.

Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,
does anyone know of a mod or work around? or am I stuck with just using the side stand which is a bugger for maintenance and cleaning
cheers
Rob
I have an '09 K1300GT and Yes, its a sod to get onto the centre stand, even though I'm 6ft and 14 stone. Ive never looked at the stand itself to see if its bent, or otherwise, but I will now. Someones idea of riding it up a plank to raise the bike slightly is a good, simple idea, but no good of course if you're out touring.....thank God it has a decent side stand I say.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi All,
cheers
Rob
Hey Rob, I have a suggestion that no one has mentioned. I had to replace the rear shock on my 07 GT and inadvertently re-installed the lower shock brackets upside down. I only realized that I had done something wrong when it became nearly impossible for me to get it on the center stand, which previously had been no problem. As soon as I figured out what I had done and changed the bracket orientation, center stand issues were also resolved. If it is possible that the previous owner had changed the shock, who knows?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Rob, I have a suggestion that no one has mentioned. I had to replace the rear shock on my 07 GT and inadvertently re-installed the lower shock brackets upside down. I only realized that I had done something wrong when it became nearly impossible for me to get it on the center stand, which previously had been no problem. As soon as I figured out what I had done and changed the bracket orientation, center stand issues were also resolved. If it is possible that the previous owner had changed the shock, who knows?
Fab answer... will investigate
Merci beaucoup mon ami

·
Registered
37 Posts
If your suspension is in the 2 helmets setting and your boxes are empty, its a doddle to throw up on the centre stand.
The lower the bike and the more its loaded the harder it gets. When i pull in to fuel up, i get close enough to the pump to put my left foot on the curb and up she goes.
Use a block of wood to stand on with your left foot and/or as was suggested push it up on a piece of wood. Its a straight up power lift between your right foot and your right hand.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your centerstand isn't bent, but the thin metal stop brackets are. See parts #2 (46 52 7 691 635) and #3 (46 52 7 691 632) in this picture:

You can buy these parts from BMW for about $130 and replace them, but eventually they will bend again.

What I did was go to a friend's shop and weld more material to these thin metal plates to make them stronger, then they never bent again. :cool:
That's exactly what it is. Mine looked exactly like in your picture. The stop plates are ridiculously thin. I've bought the replacements and, like Meese, will be welding on some plates to thicken them before I refit.
Prior to going like this, the bike was reasonably OK to get on the stand - as long as you centred the bike, stood on the lever and heaved left bar and grab rail it was fine.

As someone else said, running on the 2-up suspension setting helps. This extends/stiffens the shock and puts the back wheel down 2cm which obvs reduces the lift required. I ride on the 2-up setting almost all the time as it steers quicker/nicer, with no loss of stability. Its a known thing on these. The only time I don't is in the wet with Metzeler Roadtex Z01s on. I was using Michelin Road 5's and loved them but couldn't get them last time (I run a 190 rear as I have the Motorsport forged 6" wheel and Michelin withdrew the 190 briefly as some were rubbing on the swingarms of K1600s) so fitted the 01s. \i wouldn't again - they're a nice compound but wear quickly and make the bike understeer. That's manageable in the dry but not nice in the wet on the 2-up setting so i drop back to the solo setting. The Michelins were great on 2-up in wet or dry. Can't wait to get Road 6s on.

Btw, rob82176, if you're near Cheltenham we aren't far apart: I'm moving (from London) to just north of Stroud in a few weeks. Happy to swap notes face to face on the GTs (mines at 36,000 and I've had her for 4 years, done shims, changed cams, sorted a few things etc) and I have a GS911 if you don't have one and need fault codes checking etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah just to confirm, I`ve had my `10, K13GT, since it was 4 months old, The centre stand is a pain when I put the bike in the garage, I just put all my weight on my right foot, right hand on grab rail and she just goes up. When out on tour I always use side stand.

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts