BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks just joined the group, I have a K1200S 2005, never rode it yet, I purchased this after a long illness telling myself that I needed a bike when I recovered, stupidly I purchased a bike without a test ride, well several months after leaving the bike in the garage I got it up to temperature, it started to miss and rattle, ??? at idle revs, the previous owner tells me it never happened to him, I really dont want to spend thousands with a main dealer nor do I want to sell the bike on to an unsuspecting third person. The rattle could come from the cam chain tensioner or the clutch, its not constant but appears to happen the engines missfires for a second or two, any ideas or comments/solutions .
If I decide to rectify the problem myself does anybody know how to work on the bike without a centre stand, could I buy a used item from another model and retro fit it ??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Let's don't panic yet! There is an upgrade to the timing chain tensioner. Check that first. That rattle usually shows up on startup then goes away. Oil leaks out of the tensioner when the engine is off and has to get pumped back into the tensioner. The replacement tensioner has a reservoir and doesn't leak down when the engine is off. The BMW upgraded tensioner will fix that. If it's miss firing and rattling, that can go together. Spark plugs, a bad coil. You can get a OBDII checker and check the fault codes. Then you will have a place to start looking. The clutches on the earlier bikes can start to rattle and would with a bike that has been sitting. The earlier bikes where not getting enough oil to the clutch so BMW modified the clutch thurst adapter (the part that actuates the clutch from the slave cylinder) a couple of times to increase the oil flow to the clutch without decreasing the oil flow to other parts of the engine. Check and see if you have the plastic timing chain guide installed. On the right side down at the bottom of the engine casing you will see a large bright aluminum cap with a hex or torx hole. Unscrew it and look inside for the plastic timing chain guide. It is there to keep the timing chain from jumping a tooth. If it's not there, better get it. Search this forum for all the above fixes and you will see detailed information on these modifications and upgrades.
So let's go over them one more time:
1) upgrade timing chain tensioner
2) check for/install timing chain guide at the crank.
3) change the clutch thrust adapter to latest version with 2 slots (some honing required)
4) check header pipes with infrared gun for coil/cylinder not firing
Others here can add more hints to perfecting your bike.
Good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
"You can get a OBDII checker and check the fault codes. Then you will have a place to start looking."
Impressive technical advice.
I bought an OBDII checker, how do you learn to use it?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree with du907s plan. I had a 05 k1200s and it developed the rattle at start up. I put in the cam chain tensioner upgrade and all was well. Tensioner can be done without a centerstand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let's don't panic yet! There is an upgrade to the timing chain tensioner. Check that first. That rattle usually shows up on startup then goes away. Oil leaks out of the tensioner when the engine is off and has to get pumped back into the tensioner. The replacement tensioner has a reservoir and doesn't leak down when the engine is off. The BMW upgraded tensioner will fix that. If it's miss firing and rattling, that can go together. Spark plugs, a bad coil. You can get a OBDII checker and check the fault codes. Then you will have a place to start looking. The clutches on the earlier bikes can start to rattle and would with a bike that has been sitting. The earlier bikes where not getting enough oil to the clutch so BMW modified the clutch thurst adapter (the part that actuates the clutch from the slave cylinder) a couple of times to increase the oil flow to the clutch without decreasing the oil flow to other parts of the engine. Check and see if you have the plastic timing chain guide installed. On the right side down at the bottom of the engine casing you will see a large bright aluminum cap with a hex or torx hole. Unscrew it and look inside for the plastic timing chain guide. It is there to keep the timing chain from jumping a tooth. If it's not there, better get it. Search this forum for all the above fixes and you will see detailed information on these modifications and upgrades.
So let's go over them one more time:
1) upgrade timing chain tensioner
2) check for/install timing chain guide at the crank.
3) change the clutch thrust adapter to latest version with 2 slots (some honing required)
4) check header pipes with infrared gun for coil/cylinder not firing
Others here can add more hints to perfecting your bike.
Good luck
Thanks for getting back to me within a day, I was in quandary, love the look of the bike and not ridden for 20 odd years, lol, still not ridden this one yet, ij the past had beemers ie R90S, I was looking for a bike for the summer and have a little fun before I hit the big 7 o and keep it for a few years then maybe go to GS which I should do really BUT this bike is better than showroom condition to look at, not a mark on it, so I,ll tax it and put a few miles on it then investigate further thanks again for your help

·
Registered
558 Posts
snip...Tensioner can be done without a centerstand.
A Centerstand is nice. I've put 5 of them on our K1200Ses between the wife and I. You have to cut the belly pan (it has an outline on the underside) and manage the center stand springs, but it's easy and a nice thing to have for maintenance.

·
Registered
308 Posts
A Centerstand is nice. I've put 5 of them on our K1200Ses between the wife and I. You have to cut the belly pan (it has an outline on the underside) and manage the center stand springs, but it's easy and a nice thing to have for maintenance.
I agree👍, and I wouldn’t have a bike without one. I just wanted to let him know that the tensioner could be done without it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts