BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to change the air filter today on our RSs. I plan to tip the tank forward instead of removing it if I can. They are both full.
I take it, I'll need to disconnect the quick-disconnects in order to tilt the tank enough?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention my wife will be gone today. Will I be able to tilt the tank and replace the filter with only two hands?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Its Easy

Lee, It helps to have another person to help. I do not disconnect the fuel lines but it may be the way to go.
Make sure you use a white grease to seal the foam good and suck the box.

Good Luck its a breeze,

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure you use a white grease to seal the foam good and suck the box.
I really hope you mean vacuum the box :)
I did not think to put anything on the foam, thanks for that tip.

I did a search and one member mentions you need to move the tank to the right. With 40 lbs of fuel I better wait and have Debbie hold the tank so it does not slide off the bike. Also it was mentioned to remove two bolts at the front of the tank. I watched my Tech. remove my tank once and I just remember the front being held in place by two rubber holders. Is this right???
I need to go out and replace the fairing nose and pull the right cover. I'll get a better look at the tank to refresh my memory.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Tough but doable with one pair of hands

lee said:
I forgot to mention my wife will be gone today. Will I be able to tilt the tank and replace the filter with only two hands?
If you disconnect both the fuel lines and the vent lines, then you can remove the tank completely and out of the way ... no problems.

I disconnected the fuel lines, which gave the tank more freedom of movement, and my tank had probably < 1 gal of fuel in it, but I wasn't able to hold it up and out of the way while trying to change the air filter simultaneously all with one pair of hands. However, I did not disconnect the vent lines and got a 2nd pair of hands instead. :D

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
If you don't carefully remove the tank, you may find as happened to me, the whole lot keeling over off the bike, the fuel lines stretched as far as they go and a paint job on the plastic to sort out. Is it worth short cutting? Fit quick disconnects if you haven't got them, my tank's always coming off - the main wiring loom runs underneath, run the bike low on fuel before removing the tank.

When I'm not doing a full service requiring a new filter, I carefully blow the filter back through with an air line. Another reason for having quick disconnects and easy access to the filter.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
detour said:
If you disconnect both the fuel lines and the vent lines, then you can remove the tank completely and out of the way ... no problems.
It was warm today, well, warm for Iowa, so I went for a ride and changed the filter when I got home. After looking at the tank I decided it was safer and faster to just remove it and set it aside. If I left the tank connected to the fuel lines I was afraid I might damage the quick disconnects trying to move the tank far enough out of the way. I plan to remove the tank from now on.
Tomorrow's weather sounds good, so I'll get out for another ride on Debbie's bike, then change her filter.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JamesTexas said:
Make sure you use a white grease to seal the foam good and suck the box.Good Luck its a breeze,
James, You are right, it was a breeze.
I had to vacuum out the air box, I had quit the collections of bugs in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts