BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Changed my "R" a bit

The following pictures will show some of the changes that I have made to better fit my riding style. Your feedback is welcomed. I think!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
That my friend is slick.A very good looking R.................Regards Pete

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pete...Thanks ..

The seat is on the stock pan..and the work was done by HighEnd Seats in Orange County.
The bar height works just like the "GS"..but the sitting position is like the "RT"
The seat is 1.5" higher along with more back support.

Now if I could learn how to post the pictures for an easier look !

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice!

Do the bars pivot front to back or just raise the grips? I like the looks of the shield looks like great protection for this kind of bike too! :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ray.

The Bars have some front to back movement...Could use a little more .
This wind screen was a must once I raised the seat height... Plus it hides some of the risers and looks more balanced.
Thanks
Slow2go

·
Registered
121 Posts
Slow2go said:
Pete...Thanks ..

Now if I could learn how to post the pictures for an easier look !

Thanks
To post pics, first and foremost I believe that they must be hosted by an online provider (like smugmug which I use)

Here a link to a tutorial http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-sharing that's from smugmug but it should work the same for most other providers

Hope this helps

·
Registered
40 Posts
Slow2go said:
Hi Ray.

The Bars have some front to back movement...Could use a little more .
This wind screen was a must once I raised the seat height... Plus it hides some of the risers and looks more balanced.
Thanks
Slow2go
Who manufacturers the wind screen?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Amos...
Thanks for the info...I'll give them a try.

Hi Alan.
The windscreen is from Secdem in France, But you can order it from Canada.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Clary sports is the Secdem source in Canada. They answered squestions by email except whether or not I need the stock "sport" windscreen hardware. I seem to have have seen somewhere that a stronger support is needed than that on the stock flyscreen. I haven't gotten around to calling them to clarify this or I would have ordered.

I can't find a page devoted to the secdem for the K1200R on their site, but there is contact info there, and an English version of their site, and if you click on the secdem logo you connect to secdem itself where you can find the K1200R screen but that is in French. You can apparently call Clary and get an English speaker.

http://www.clarysports.com/

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Doc.
All of your contact info is correct...
I did use the BMW hardware to mount this screen.......I do believe they offer the screen
with two different drilled hole patterns.
The following pictures are the only ones that I have showing the windscreen, maybe they will help

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks, now I'll order. The screen looks good, so does the black tank. Did you do that or BMW makes them in black like that? I think I may get mine painted from the grey to black, and throw on some WWII-era bomber nose-art.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Windscreen

Hi Doc.
I think that you will enjoy the taller screen.... My bike came in Yellow. I wanted the black frame and wheels.
Then I had a local painter use a Blue/Black paint..Its Black in sunlight...Dark Blue in all other light.... Two Brothers used this bike for their moch up and Web page for the new K series..
The Graphics sound good....It would fit the bike very well.

Good Luck
Slow2go

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Secdem contact.

Hi Doc.
That is correct about Clarysports in Canada...I had spoke to Valerie (English) at
819-424-4545.
She was very helpful.

Slow2go

·
Registered
193 Posts
Where'd you get the risers

Also, how much were they, and did you have to buy new cables too?

Thanks,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Risers....

Hi Capt.
The risers were made by a local welder. I had him cut the stock piece and then machine the riser,Them reweld so I could use the stock spine.
The cables were a pain. The throttle cable was the roughest to make, BMW fittings aren't to available in the cable world.
The good news is that it all fits and works great. The cost was about the same as ordering a set...The headache was much greater then just calling in an order.
But I do enjoy the results
Slow2go

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Slow2Go,

Nice exhaust bracket. I was under the impression that the foot peg is attached to both upper and lower subframe beams, and thus takes support from both of them? Is your bracket only attached to the lower beam?

I'm sure it's sturdy enough, but what are your thoughts on the stiffness? :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bjoraker said:
Very interested in the windscreen... How does it perform? Vibration, noise, etc at higher speed?
The wind screen works very well. I had tried the BMW wind screen , but it buffered very badly .
I have raised the seat 1.5" So the wind became a problem, it hit me right in the chin, driving me crazy. The new screen corrected this problem.
It seem pretty solid. I checked it out at triple figures, but then had some other things to deal with,
Hope this helps you some.
Slow2go

1 - 20 of 68 Posts