BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this?

Looking at a complete set of tupperware - missing indicators, screen and support bracket but everything else is there

Do you need the fairing brackets or are they interchangeable?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Anyone done this?

Looking at a complete set of tupperware - missing indicators, screen and support bracket but everything else is there

Do you need the fairing brackets or are they interchangeable?
Unless you can find many of the needed parts USED or very cheap, it is NOT cost effective to make this change. Probably much less trouble if you can sell yours early K1200RS and buy a used K1200RS of 2001-2005 instead.

The MAJOR issue is that you need the NEW TYPE front sub-frame in addition to the newer style nose fairing.
This front fairing bracket (sub-frame) will hold the new wind shield mechanism (part number 1 in this diagram):
MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1200RS (K41)

As a rough guide, you need these parts to be changed:
1) front fairing bracket (sub-frame)
2) windshield mechanism
3) windshield
4) nose fairings and 2 small side cover attaching to nose fairing - part number 1, 2 and 5 (left + right) in this diagram:
MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1200RS (K41)

Installing these will also requires removing many parts in front of K1200RS and may require minor change to wire harness (front flashers).
There are other traps in the process as BMW also made minor changes to large LEFT side fairing (near front section).

Nothing is impossible if you are patient and handy, but not cost effective as I said earlier...

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why would anyone want to change from a nice smooth flowing tupperware setup to a slip on (Over) setup?

Not at all trying to be argumentative or a smart - aleck, but just wondering why.

I for one love the original tupperware and do like the later (lay over) version of the windscreen plastic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would anyone want to change from a nice smooth flowing tupperware setup to a slip on (Over) setup?

Not at all trying to be argumentative or a smart - aleck, but just wondering why.

I for one love the original tupperware and do like the later (lay over) version of the windscreen plastic.
Well there were a few drivers

1. Bike needs paint - it's worn thro in places on panel edges and I don't like the colour and that'll cost me around £500 to get done

2. I had the chance of a very cheap set of pretty good condition plastics in a colour I like but the seller discarded the mounting brackets as they were rusty (easily fixed had he not scrapped them - shot blast, powder coat and it would have been good as new)

3. I actually prefer the integrated indicators rather than the add on pods so chance to get rid of those pods

4. Nothing I own ends up staying std as I like little projects to keep me busy and active in the garage in the winter when riding the bike isn't practical

I'll probably strip it down and get it all painted now as the replacement plastics option is no longer available - it should look good in satin black :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts