BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, on Friday night somebody tried to steal my bike, they didn’t succeed but they did in the process of forcing the steering lock off bugger the ignition barrel/switch! my question is can just the ignition switch be changed or is it a case of replacing the ECU aswell as I seem to notice they are often sold as a bundle second hand?

any help appreciated!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Mate, sorry to hear but glad you managed to hold on to your bike. There are others here with more experience than I but I believe the ignition switch itself is not tied to the ECU directly. I think the part tied to the ECU is the security ring antenna that encircles the ignition switch and this is a seperate part. As long as the ring antenna is OK, I think you could just repair or replace the ignition switch, keying it back to your original key and you're back in business.

This is from the Hexacode website: EWS — HEX Code

General description of the EWS system in CAN-bus based motorcycles
The electronic immobilizer consists of 4 parts:
BMSK_EWS_System_2s.png

1RF Transponder in the Key
2The Ring antenna
3The Evaluation electronics integrated into the Ring antenna module
4The Engine Control Unit (BMS-K or BMS-KP)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The antenna is undamaged so that’s good news! I just need just priced up a barrel from BMW suited to my key, thanks buddy, much appreciated, Regards E

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All sorted at local Bmw dealer! barrel coded to my current key plus housing £129 (steering lock pin was mutilated) not exactly over the moon with having to pay under the circumstances but better than £300 insurance excess! Back on the road - happy days! thanks and regards E

·
Registered
66 Posts
Glad to hear, bike thieves will get their just reward one day. At least you're back on the road with some sunshine to enjoy. Happy trails and safe riding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts