BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just about 7000 km on my K13GT. I had the break in service done at 800 km and will be taking it back to the shop for my 10000 km service. That seems like a long time between oil changes (especially when the engine is new) so I thought that rather than changing the oil now (only 3000 km to the next service) that I would just change the filter.

My question is: when I take off the old filter will I loose more oil than what's contained in the filter?

Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm not sure changing the filter itself will address your concerns. If your going to change the filter why not the oil as well?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I see no value in changing out the filter and leaving the old oil in. The contaminants in the filter are trapped in the filter. The contaminants in the oil will remain. Change the oil and filter if you must do anything. Waste of time and money in my opinion. YMMV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No more than the oil cost, I would change the oil too. If in doubt about the break in and keeping it clean new oil is a cheap way to go.

Jason

·
Registered
478 Posts
Absolutely_change both-couldn't hurt. And, no you wont loose much oil by just removing the filter as it is a dry-sump system. Most of the oil is kept in the tank under the seat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts