BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for verification on something my dealership service guy said to me. It's a long haul to my dealer, and very expensive to boot. It would be nice to have new tires put on at a local motorcycle shop, rather than have to take an entire day off just to get a new tire put on my 2003 K12GT.

BMW service guy tells me they use a "special adapter" and that I should only go to them to get my tires changed. Can anybody tell me how much truth there is to that statement?

Ride safe,
Cheese

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Cycle Gear(one coming near you soon) changes my tires('04KRS) all the time. There might be an adaptor needed to balance the rear tire, but that's probably it. And another adaptor for the Gen.2 rear wheels.
Why don't you call your local MC shop and ask them?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Anyone who has the capability to mount motorycycle tires can swap tires on a BMW, its the balancing that is 'different'.

An adaptor is used to 'chuck' the rear wheel for balancing, most Jap shops won't have it and probably have no desire to get it.

The front balances like every other front motorcycle wheel/tire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MikeK, that helps immensely.

Brucecha, calling a service center closer to home crossed my mind, but if they didn't know about a special adapter, then they might have just said "sure, bring 'er in, we'll do it." That was a risk to my ride I didn't want to take.

·
Registered
651 Posts
MikeK said:
An adaptor is used to 'chuck' the rear wheel for balancing, most Jap shops won't have it and probably have no desire to get it.
The shop in back of the Cycle Gear down the road from here (on Parkmoor in San Jose) can't do the newer K rear wheels with the big hole in the middle, but can handle the older ones. At least that's what the guy that looked to be the head honcho told me. :p:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
carnadero said:
The shop in back of the Cycle Gear down the road from here (on Parkmoor in San Jose) can't do the newer K rear wheels with the big hole in the middle, but can handle the older ones. At least that's what the guy that looked to be the head honcho told me. :p:
i had a similar experience. I even tried the yamaha/suzuki shop here in Folsom, ca. brand new facility and they couldn't do it.

Cycle Gear Note: those guys are morons. they mounted my buddies tires backwards on the rims. plus they won't dismount the tires off of the bike. they said to bring my tire down and they would do it right away. I ended up dropping it off and had to pick it up the next day, because they said they couldn't get it done. It took them three hours to mount my tire backwards and i had to take it back to have it redone after they told me they could balance them and i dropped them off. they said they looked at a picture on the internet to figure out which way the tire went. They looked at an R bike, which has the final drive on the opposite side. I told them that there is an arrow on the tire and rim for their convenience. Stupid me i didn't check it before i left.

They couldn't balance them and luckily A&S BMW in roseville balanced my tire for free twice. excellent customer service. now i go in and get them changed at the dealership. they only charge me around 45-50 dollars to take the wheel off of the bike and change balance and remount. i figure driving back and forth to cycle gear costs me just as much as paying the extra 15 bucks for them to do half as much.

·
Registered
651 Posts
chuckheinch said:
they said they looked at a picture on the internet to figure out which way the tire went.

Seems to me that in in the event of uncertainty, a good solution would have been to call you.

What seems kind of weird is that the guys here, even though they're in the rear of a Cycle Gear, say they are independent and not Cycle Gear employees. :think:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Cal Sport Touring in Hercules, CA. does not have the 400 adapter but can still balance the tires.
They, for lack of a better term, jerry rig the cones on the balancer to support the wheel and balance it as usual on there machine I have had it up to about 120 after they balanced the tire no problem. I know another poster here who has pushed the GT up to its limit on a tire balanced this way with no problem.

Next time I get a tire, I will pay more attention to how they do it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The S model rear takes a special adapter from Marc Parnes for $45 that I had to get to do them. The 2004 RS/GT rear takes bigger cones than the universal that can be used on the front.
This is for balancing only and the tire change itself is just like the rest.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just noticed this post, I also had tires mounted a Cal Sport touring in Hercules. This was a few days before my July trip, 4000 miles, highest indicated (gps ) speed was 140. seemed good to me, although the road is sure narrow at that speed. I browsed there store during the install, have no clue what they did to balance them. K12S, I took in the rims / tires , I dont think they will remove the rims from the bike....
Roc

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a NOMAR and do my own, balance also. Yep, need bigger "cones" that will handle the bigger holes in the BMW rims. I also have the smaller set for doing yamaha, etc before I sold it. These cones screw on, versus the smaller ones on a smooth shaft that use a set screw to hold them in place (for balancing).

What a PIA with bike tires if you do a lot of miles. It was a little pricy but having the option of changing/balancing your tires at any time (dealer is 30 miles, plus it takes all day) is a huge relief. :clap:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Bigger hole in newer wheels

My wife has an R1200RT with the same type rear wheel as the K1200S. The first time we had the tire change at Cycle Gear, they told us they could not balance it (you guessed it). We went to every bike shop near us, and no one would do it. Finally took it to a automotive tire place and they dynamically balanced it like a car tire. Now we have a Nomar changer and a Mojolever and all the proper adapters for our bikes for balancing. Life is good now, just order the tires and mount them here. Oh, and I highly recommend the Mojolever instead of the bar that comes with the Nomar.....

Here is a link to the owners manual for the lever has his email if interested.....

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/prestondrake/Mojolever_Instructions.pdf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts