BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the chatterbox's sucky mp3/xm broadcasting to pillion battery life, I decided to take on a new project of upgrading its battery. I discovered that dimensional size is it's limiting factor.

For me to get out of the Upper Peninsula is 5hrs+ and is annoying to pay for XM and only get its use for 5hrs.

The XBI has a 520mah Li-PO battery in it with dimensions of 44mmx24mmx4mm.
I found a 2000mah LI-PO terminated with the xbi's jst connector. I am going to use this battery and an external case from sparkfun.com. This has the potential of 15hrs+ of battery life during continuous pillion xm radio use and is only going to cost around $50. The limiting factor will now be the wirevo.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8483.

Let the drilling and hot gluing begin!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Instead of using an external case, I placed the battery at the back of the helmet. I used RC car JST connectors as a quick disconnect and Velcro to place the battery. The XBI seems to work. I am currently charging it with the existing unit. The battery has a PCB, so I am hoping all is well.

I have a wedding to attend in Livonia. I have a 2000mah battery installed vs a 520mah stock battery. I should be able to easily get 15-20hrs of around the clock xm music and passenger streaming. We'll see how long the wirevo lasts.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It lasted for the 11hr trip and an extra day. It even survived a crash, too bad I wasn't able to test it on the way back(I do have a war story though).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Started from 49931 to Chicago and then back again on the same battery. Looking at 18hrs life plus commuting time for 3 weeks after I got back. I love it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts