BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not absolutely sure if this is the right place, but am looking for advice on where to stay when riding the Cherohala Skyway. A group of us will be riding from AL in May and are looking for recommendations on where to stay, eat, etc. on the TN side. Any and all inputs welcomed.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
468 Posts
Bottom of Cherohala on the TN side is Tellico Plains. Some neat little restaurants there, probably some local quaint motels too. Just west of there is Madisonville. Big enough for chain hotels and chain restaurants, maybe a Walmart or Target, can't remember. I live about 90 minutes from the bottom of the Skyway on the west side of the valley between the Smokies and Cumberlands, so I can't give you better info, I just go home! Check out Madisonville though for a place to stay. Also check here for some possible better info. Maybe see ya up there!

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
sportourista said:
The Cherohala Skyway is very near Deals Gap. A good starting place for your research of the area is www.dealsgap.com
True enough, but the Skyway is a much better road than the highly overrated Deal's gap.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Meese said:
True enough, but the Skyway is a much better road than the highly overrated Deal's gap.
Absolutely! When you get to the east end of the Skyway you can go all the way to Robinsville or cut north on the Joyce Kilmer Memorial highway - twisty piece of road! Go ahead and check out the Dragon, but don't get all spooled up over it, it's not that big a deal. By the way, at the NC/TN border where the Dragon is you'll see a big damn off to your right (heading westbound) - that's Santeelah Dam, aka "Fugitive Dam". They filmed the scene for he jump there (where Harrison Ford's character jumps from the dam to escape Tommy Lee Jones).

South of that whole area, nearer the Georgia border is a piece of road called WarWoman road. Haven't ridden it, but you'll find maps at the above web sites.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You've got to check out the Snowbird Mountain Lodge - www.snowbirdlodge.com. Located on the NC start of the Cherohala, it's a beautiful old place and motorcycle friendly. Plus, they have one of the few liquor licenses in Graham County. Robert Rankin, the owner, recently bought a GS so you'll be in good company.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Brother From Florida, me from OH have been going to that region for years...If you want a lower cost accommodation, we stayed last fall at http://www.huntslodge.com/ in the cottages...very biker friendly and the cottage sleeps 3....Cheap! Close to all of the good riding you wish to do there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts