BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike was a "cosmetic total" according to my dealer, cost more to fix it than it was worth.

2005 K1200s with over 50K is not worth all that much and body parts from BMW are expensive. Second option was a $500 kit from China. I bought through DHGate from Yayatrade and tried to use as much of the original bodywork as I could as it is much better quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very few of the holes were in the right place so I had to file the end of the tab or slot out the holes. Getting these right would determine the final fit so taking time here is mandatory.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On close inspection the parts look unfinished, but overall I am happy enough.
The only real problems were that the cut out to clear the exhaust in the belly pan was not even close, hence the hack saw blade and in bright sunlight the color is not an exact match.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last little bits:
handle bar was bent, surprisingly it will bend back if you are strong, I just pushed it HARD
Shifter got ground down a bit, no real damage
Pictures do not show the belly is split from the curb, but no damage to engine or exhaust
The Chinese body is a thin plastic, adequate to the task, but no more, tested at 150 MPH
I am reasonably good with hand tools, I spent 6 hours, your mileage may vary

Don't hesitate to buy one of these if you have an older bike you want to keep going but probably not keep forever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts