BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

CHP Crashes on the "Crest"

10K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  chuckheinch 
#1 ·
CHP Officer Curtis Stout crashed his BMW RTP into a Jeep last Sunday while chasing down a sportbiker up in the local Mt's above Los Angeles and going wide into a turn faster than he should. He was airlifted down the hill to a hospital with a broken leg & a bad case of road rash.

Way don't these guys wear proper gear when they're doing this type of thing? Unfortunately, it was just a matter of time until this was going to happen to him.

I hope he's OK and heals quickly.

#2 ·
Unfortunately it is people like me (a CA. taxpayer) that have to foot the bill when these guys do something VERY stupid.

Didn't anyone at the Academy tell them that there's nothing faster than a radio?

The ONLY place for motor police is traffic CONTROL, not high speed pursuit.

Don't get me started on their short sleeved shirts and open faced helmets.

#3 ·
Why do you say "Happen to him"? Does this officer have a reputation?
You can be that there is going to be a big CHP enforcement zone imposed on that area now. It may be official, or it may not, but I bet it will not be a good place to speed for the rest of the summer.
And, I second whole heartedly that he heals quickly, and is OK.

BMWorDuc said:
CHP Officer Curtis Stout crashed his BMW RTP into a Jeep last Sunday while chasing down a sportbiker up in the local Mt's above Los Angeles and going wide into a turn faster than he should. He was airlifted down the hill to a hospital with a broken leg & a bad case of road rash.

Way don't these guys wear proper gear when they're doing this type of thing? Unfortunately, it was just a matter of time until this was going to happen to him.

I hope he's OK and heals quickly.

#4 ·
i never understood the rationale behind high persuit chases for nothing more than speeding. all to often a high speed chase results in someone getting killed and it's not worth it in my opinion just to hand someone a ticket. if someone was just murdered, a bank robbed, a woman raped or a kid abducted then high speed chases are justified. other than that get on the radio and get other cops involved, get a license plate number and go to the dumbass's house and arrest him when he gets home. seems like the cop will be OK and that's a good thing.

#5 ·
Warp9 said:
Why do you say "Happen to him"? Does this officer have a reputation?.
Officer Stout has been on a mission for the last 18 months to clean up the Mt above Los Angeles. This is one of better places to ride in the area and in the past during the summer a squid goes off it most every weekend. Sometimes he doesn't make it home at all.
So the officer has been chasing down various speeders for awhile now. Most of the time they get away because theyre talented riders on 100 plus HP motorcycles and know the 100 plus miles of Mt roads as well as he does. He's been out matched by guys in full leathers while he's in his short sleeve shirt on an RTP solo most of the time.

#6 ·
Glad to here the officer is OK. BUT if they (the police) are really going to do this type of high speed stuff, at least get the guy a set of full leathers and a k1200s or something. It is just plain stupid to ride fast in a short sleeve shirt/little helmet... :loco :loco :loco Someone should tell this guy about a radio.

#7 ·
If you have had enough encounters with these gentlemen (read Gestapo) you will realize you can't tell them anything. I know they have seen a lot, and may have specialized training, but to do the task that they are trying to write you up for does not make things any safer. Especially with no or limited gear or in some cases a SUV.

We (New York) now has a law on the books that if one of these morons can't figure out his radio and makes a conscious decision to chase you above his capabilities and dies doing it you will be charged with his death. The only person I find responsible for this is the person doing the chasing. By their own admission they are chasing you because you are performing a reckless and dangerous act. Now they are going to do that very act to stop you.

This should not be viewed as a slant on all officers. Some just let the power go to their head and they have to prove to you they are in charge, even if it kills them.

I have had a few great encounters. They check out the bike, gear, and papers and if everything is ok (and I wasn't a danger to anyone else) they write up a non-moving or warning. I've even had one officer point out some deer crossings and road construction areas to be careful of. I wish they were all were being trained to really be concerned with safety and not with trying to project their authority.

#8 ·
El_Barto said:
If you have had enough encounters with these gentlemen (read Gestapo) you will realize you can't tell them anything. I know they have seen a lot, and may have specialized training, but to do the task that they are trying to write you up for does not make things any safer. Especially with no or limited gear or in some cases a SUV.

We (New York) now has a law on the books that if one of these morons can't figure out his radio...
I’m a LEO, so I guess I’m a little biased. But I’m getting a little tired of my profession being referred to as the Gestapo and the officers as morons because we don't do things to specifications as set forth by someone else. You have a right to your own opinion of me of course, but you know, I have my own opinion of you too.

#9 ·
chuckwilmot said:
I’m a LEO, so I guess I’m a little biased. But I’m getting a little tired of my profession being referred to as the Gestapo and the officers as morons because we don't do things to specifications as set forth by someone else. You have a right to your own opinion of me of course, but you know, I have my own opinion of you too.
I have to say that this thread smacks of "bikes should be left alone" similar to "skateboarding is not a crime!". While the officer may have been too overzealous, it does not make the action he is trying to stop any less wrong. By many of your posts, I wonder if you would feel better with a policy I would support.... Run from the police and suffer the spike strips! What the hell, why should a bike be treated differently than a car? To ask the question about chases for nothing more than speeding, you ignore the fact that the cop knows the reason for initiating a pursuit is speeding, the reason for escalating a pursuit is due to the additional crime of evading (or resisting arrest), the officer at this point does not know why a person is running, just that the other is not heeding the officer's legally defined notice to pull over. Seems to me that regardless of the officer's motive, the bikes reaction is what escalated it. If I am riding and see a cop behind me, I have two choices, 1. pull over and accept that I took a chance and lost this time or 2. run and assume that he is going to do whatever is needed to catch me, if after running for a bit, I stop/crash/pull over, I can EXPECT to be thrown to the ground and treated like the criminal I am!

I am not saying that the officer did not have a part in his predicament, but laws are written for everyone's safety and when we violate them we must accept when we get caught, when we don't we have crossed the line from violators to criminals.

Do I speed, Yes... nearly all the time, and I DO expect to get caught sometime, when I do I will accept it and take the legally mandated punishment. I will not refer to the cop that stops me as a member of the "gestapo", rather another man doing his job as I do mine... as such he will be met and treated with respect.

Go ahead, call me an A$$hole, but I have no problem with people running from the police having spike strips used... don't care if they are in a car, cycle, or bicycle. I mention the strips only to say that I am very consistant... once you run, you have to reap what you sow.

For all of you LEO's out there pounding the beat... Thanks!

#10 ·
Chuck,

"I’m getting a little tired of my profession being referred to as the Gestapo and the officers as morons"

I tried to be clear that it is not all officers. I am sorry if my writings were viewed as flamming all of the trade. I have a few friends that are state and local police. I love to hear their impressions of some of their counterparts. Some of the stories are hilarious, and I am sure I would not be able to handle these cases as correctlly as they have.

I have also heard some horror stories. I am sure you know, the ones that never make the paper (brutality, accidental discharge of weapons, handling of DWI politicians). Most officers with a little time learn to know who is who. The problem is that the weak are typically not seperated from the heard and when we get pulled over the officer we remember is the bad time we had with officer numbnuts.

The good part is when the local cops heads get a little to big for their hats the state boys step in. If the corruptions continues the FBI come in. It is interesting to see the local papers slant on this. Like the FBI is going to help the local officers. What they do is recalibrate or lock them up.

#11 ·
Train of logic

It's interesting how this thread starts about a CHP motor officer crashing, and somehow digresses into comments on police corruption. Do you seriously think that the motor officer giving out speeding tickets in the Malibu Canyons is a corrupt cop? Or that his crash or enforcement policy warrants your rant about police corruption?

Using El Barto's logic:

What do you do for a living? Fly a desk for some large company? Oh well you must be involved in corporate corruption and you have helped to fleece the stock holders like the Enron guys. That's why my 401k is in the toilet because of guys like you.

That makes about as much sense as associating police corruption with this thread.

#12 ·
You are right madmax. Sorry I got off topic. To get us back on topic maybe we should talk about things like:

1) What kind of idiot would go that fast without the proper gear?
or
2) What type of supervisor would send his guys out on a job without the proper safety gear?
or
3) Why should the taxpayers have to pay for this type of reckless behavior?
or
4) Do we have any lawyers out there who could work on legislation to limit this type of foolish behavior?

PS. Your 401k is going down the toilet because people have found out that the only reason it went up is the US dollar is crashing. Try investing in a market other than the US.

PSS. I wish I went into a field where I could pilot a desk. I should have gone to school for anything other than engineering. Not enough money in it and too much support staff (managers, their managers, project managers, etc...,) to make it fun anymore.

#13 ·
solo

Can only recall booking one bikie. Nice bloke but could not ride for shit , so I told him I was removing his licence with some pissy little offences. Others?? Do recall dragging a team of em but they fell off and I had to arrange drivers to cart them to hospital. Now cars?? As much as I would let them get ahead they would not run for it. Drivers figured they did not have much of a chance of getting away. As for shirt sleeves. Well I dropped it once on a bend but found sea air and daily swims in the ocean gave me a new set of skin in a fortnight.

And then work health and safety told the department that we had to have the full set of leathers we had been requesting for years. So they bought them, issued them, with the proviso. When riding they must be worn.

Some of my men were ready to pass out in the heat whilst working the city. Eight hours in a full set of leather with the temp around 40 c is not nice.

I ride according to the season. Shirt sleeves and jeans if it is hot. Club captain damn near freaks out. "Hey where's ya protection?" reply...."in me wallet" Motivates ya into riding better and not falling off.

Well thats one mans opinion any way.

#14 · (Edited)
Other side

I think that if you haven't seen the weekly carnage on that roadway and the WASTE of taxpayer dollars associated with the medevac airlifts, paramedic responses, etc., not to mention the inconvienence to the local residents when their route home is shut down each week, then you wouldn't understand why the CHP sent a police bike out there to slow folks down.

I'd submit that the CHP tried to save taxpayer dollars by trying to deter the weekly crashes of guys who decide to use a public roadway for track practice.

#15 ·
Madmax,

I see them. I live in a 30 mph zone and still see my share of crashes. The best one was last fall when a car hit a tree three houses down from me. I usually go out to get them out of the woods, but in this case there was not much left of the car. It was later calculated he was going over 100 mph in a 30 zone, didn't even hit the brakes, and was also three times the legal intoxication level.

Dont worry, he turned out fine after we called 911 and got him lifted out (The helocopter has been to my house twice in the past three years. They know just where to land).

He was later cited for reckless driving, but not speeding or DWI. He was a cop on his way to work. This was his second DWI situation in two years so they "lost" the formal documentation and he was not charged. Nice.

I don't care that he got away with it, I just don't want this guy on his high horse when I've had a beer.

Now, Back to your regularly scheduled post.

#16 ·
El_Barto said:
Madmax,

I see them. I live in a 30 mph zone and still see my share of crashes. The best one was last fall when a car hit a tree three houses down from me. I usually go out to get them out of the woods, but in this case there was not much left of the car. It was later calculated he was going over 100 mph in a 30 zone, didn't even hit the brakes, and was also three times the legal intoxication level.

Dont worry, he turned out fine after we called 911 and got him lifted out (The helocopter has been to my house twice in the past three years. They know just where to land).

He was later cited for reckless driving, but not speeding or DWI. He was a cop on his way to work. This was his second DWI situation in two years so they "lost" the formal documentation and he was not charged. Nice.

I don't care that he got away with it, I just don't want this guy on his high horse when I've had a beer.

Now, Back to your regularly scheduled post.
Slightly off topic

I was in the Army stationed on Ft Campbell, a guy in my unit had been busted sleeping one off in his car in a gas station parking lot... admittedly he had driven there and was sited, plea bargained it to reckless driving. After a closed door session with the Commanding General (base still considered it dwi), he lost driving priveleges for a year (never mind that he flew 20 mil helicopters), this was a just punishmen but lost a bit the following day. I was friends with an MP on base, he and a local police had given the general his third DUI the night prior to him hammering the guy in my unit. That General (two star at the time) was promoted to the Vice chief of Staff (second highest post)... General Jack Keane (recently retired). So yes, there is a dangerous abuse of positions by those who should be held to a higher not lower standard. I always though it rather odd that he had to know exactly how hypocritical and rediculous it was to hammer the guy from my unit even though he had gotten caught 3 times himself (1 will usually end a career).

#17 ·
Just information

For any of you that would like to participate next year, check out The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department 10-33 Ride. Although it is largely Harley Davidson riders, there are others as well. It happens each June, and had over 3000 riders this year. The benefit raises money for the families of peace officers and firefighters who died in the line of duty protecting your families.

Most of the 3000 who participated this year are deputies, cops, CHP, and motor officers from different agencies throughout southern california who in their off duty hours are your riding buddies. The ones who stop and help you by the side of the road and never mention that they are cops because it's kinna unpopular. And oh yes, the Emergency Services Detail that provides Medevac and Paramedic services to downed bikers on the Angeles Crest, and other places.

It is a worthy cause, and a great ride. And there are other Memorial and Benefit Rides throughout the country that we as a community should support.

Warm Regards,

#18 ·
gen keene was a complete ass and it doesn't surprise me he hammered a guy for the same offense he himself committed a day earlier. i recall keene was at ft stewart for a 18th ABN corps exercise and left his 9mm and ta-50 in a briefing room, hopped on a c141 and flew back to campbell. someone turned in the 9mm, mp's checked the serial number figured out it was keene's and guess who keene blamed????? certainly not himself eventhough it's every soldiers responsibility to keep track of his/her weapon, no he reamed his aid a new asshole because it was somehow the aids fault.

i have no problem with police showing a presence to slow down and discourage speeders i just think it's stupid to risk your life chasing some clown on a sport bike when all you really have to do is get on the radio and set up trap to catch the guy.

#19 ·
El_Barto said:
If you have had enough encounters with these gentlemen (read Gestapo) you will realize you can't tell them anything.
El_Barto said:
This should not be viewed as a slant on all officers. Some just let the power go to their head and they have to prove to you they are in charge, even if it kills them.
Took me a loooong time, but have some understanding why it seems LEO's are so invested in proving "they are in charge." Yeah, some are AH's and AH's with badges are bad news. But more often it's that "they NEED to be in charge" to do the job. Might not seem so sometimes, but there are really very few LEO's and if they lose the public's feeling that they are in charge, s--- can and will break loose. And that's just the general public - bad guys are a whole other thing. If a cop seems weak to a bad guy, s/he is in a very dangerous situation - in truth, we all are. So what the hell does that have to do with the way a LEO acts when a Beemer rider is a little too quick but safe? Data is that the % of bad guys in traffic stops is waaay higher than in the general population. That surprised me when I learned it. Seems logical that a fellow with a warrant out or who knows the police are looking for him would NOT be the fellow who violates traffic rules. Not so. Cops at traffic stops are often in danger themselves.

El_Barto said:
I have had a few great encounters. They check out the bike, gear, and papers and if everything is ok (and I wasn't a danger to anyone else) they write up a non-moving or warning. I've even had one officer point out some deer crossings and road construction areas to be careful of. I wish they were all were being trained to really be concerned with safety and not with trying to project their authority.
Had that experience as well. And it's come more frequently since I realized how tense a LEO can be at a traffic stop so I do everything I can to ease that tension. There's a whole mantra how to do that in other treads.

#20 ·
MadMax said:
I think that if you haven't seen the weekly carnage on that roadway and the WASTE of taxpayer dollars associated with the medevac airlifts, paramedic responses, etc.,..
Taxpayer dollars?? Seems to me the victims' insurance policies would cover all that, wouldn't they? I mean, after all, people aren't supposed to be driving without insurance.....

#21 ·
carnadero said:
Taxpayer dollars?? Seems to me the victims' insurance policies would cover all that, wouldn't they? I mean, after all, people aren't supposed to be driving without insurance.....
Unfortunately, this is not the case. If a commercial ambulance service is used, the insurance companies may pay. But for example, a biker goes down on Angeles Crest. La County ParaMedics respond, Dispatchers send Patrol Cars, Aero Bureau sends a Helicopter with a flight crew and Paramedic, and Emergency Services Detail may respond with a Rescue Team to go down the side of the mountain if the biker went over the side.

All this is done in an attempt to save the life of a biker who maybe thinks it's ok to try and outrun the police. None of this is reimbursed, and becomes the burden of taxpayers.

I'm not angry. I'm saddened.

#22 ·
Thanks Chuck, I do appreciate you guys.
Like most, I've never had a bad experience with a LEO.
One thing I've noticed is when it's a holiday and there are extra cops out, in high traffic areas ? Well I think traffic goes smoother and faster, you don't get all the tail gating and erratic speeds and lane changing, you know the bullshit.
Glad we have guys who are even willing to do your job,and you're appreciated bud. Doug

#23 · (Edited)
My brother is a LEO, 2 uncles are LEOs, most of the guys I went to school with are LEOs, I know many of hte LEOs around where I live now (not well enough to get out of a ticket, mind you). Hell, I was almost a LEO (did the oral boards, then took a computer geek job instead - no shift work. I'd almost be retired now had I been a LEO... Sigh.).

I appreciate many of the LEOs out there, most of you are generally cool and are fulfilling honorable, hard, mentally challenging work. Early in his career, my sister and I worked very hard to keep my brother from becoming a total cynic - he does a very hard job, and this colors the world he sees, to the [sometimes strongly] negative. His buddies too. It's a tough job, especially the mental aspects.

Then there are the LEOs out there trying to save the world from themselvs by writing speeding tickets to those who aren't idiots, aren't a particular danger (yes, it's subjective, and many LEOs seem to agree, letting people off with a warning instead of a ticket once they realize they're alert, upstanding, etc.), etc.

I love the attitude a LEO I know has - cites everybody who fractures the law "Speeding's speeding", but the guy hammers down roads on the weekends on his bike, THEN gets out of any citations BECAUSE he's a LEO. Gee, wonder why some LEOs get a bad rep?

Then there are the Stouts of the world. Guy gets his own threads, and fellow LEOs don't seem to think highly of him either.
http://www.ocmoto.com/index.php?topic=15742.0
A LEO’s (LAPD) take on Stout:
Make no mistake about it. He is an exception to the rule. And make no mistakes about it: despite how horrific an accident scene and how many he may have seen, there is no excuse for such a poor attitude and discourteous manner

Stout met Darwin that day, and has no more sympathy from me than any other squid who went down (I empathize, but do not sympathize). Overriding your skills/abilities/bike is a definite oopsy (but is not unlikely to happen in a long riding career). In shirtsleeves though? WTF?

In rally racing, there are drivers who have rolled cars, and those who will. Motorcycle riding has its own corollary. This means my day will probably come since I plan on riding until I can't stand up without a walker, but I'll be wearing full gear when it does (making me a ground-meat-bag per my paramedic friends).

Last Sunday I did Angeles Crest, Mt Baldy, Arrowhead, Big Bear, and Idyllwild. Great ride, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

#24 ·
i do appreciate LEO. but, I have seen many incidents and i have personally experienced being treated poorly by on group in particular, the CHP. they have a certain arrogance about them and tend to talk down to people. when growing up and going through training, this organization was always known as an extremely "professional" organization. maybe it is the area i live in that requires high seniority to be able to transfer here and these are the guys that are burnt out already. this guy sounds like one of the guys around here, Mr. Know it all LEO, that is just on a mission to fuck with people, everyone and anyone. i have had wayyyyyyyyy better contacts with the deputies and city P.D. around here. They seem like actual humans wearing uniforms who care about people. That is the reason i went through the training in the first place, not to fight a battle. I hope he is well and don't wish this upon anyone.

one of my workout partners is a chp officer and he is a bit of an ass, but he is my friend, couldn't imagine being pulled over by him. the other two i play softball with are great guys. don't know how they would be, but overall they all seem to have a negative view of the CHP in general and can't wait to retire.

#25 · (Edited)
When you go to a doctor do you tell the doctor what your treatment should be? When you hire a plumber do you tell him how to install the pipes? No profession is second guessed more than law enforcement, none. Everyone knows better than the Police how to be the Police, and they are not shy about challenging the Police in the streets. The problem with that is the Police have been trained to win street encounters. If you want to challenge the authority of a Police Officer the place to do it is in a Court. The actions of the Police are open to scrutiny there by your peers. Those of you who are complaining the Police should not have tried to stop the speeding bike, are the same people who would complain the Police don't do their job if the speeding bike crashed into someone, and killed them.

#26 ·
"When you hire a plumber do you tell him how to install the pipes?"

The differences is in this case the plumber is showing up without being called and micromanaging me or worse fining me for violating some intrusive code that he himself violates with immunity on a daily basis.

Like others have said, there's good and bad....Just now with tight budgets their new credo should be "To Harass and Fine".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.