BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the 8-liter quick-lock tank bag http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3780/570/.
I like the form and function, but it's not quite "floating" above the tank; especially where it slopes down, it is definitely resting on the tank, which I think defeats the purpose. Anyone else have this experience with this particular tank bag?

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, I have the same scenario with mine. I mounted the bag as far back on the Motec bracket as I could, but it still rests on the tank at the rear when loaded. But I don't see any effect on the tank finish (so far).

Do you also find that if you turn bars full left that the horn button engages? Wunderlich makes a bracket for their GT bag which I just ordered from Santa Cruz BMW which shields the horn button so it won't engage.

Other than that, the bag is great, and releases easily. I just took a 1500 mi trip to Baja, and kept all my valuables in the bag. Whenever I left the bike, the bag went with me. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. Actually, I have no problems with the horn engaging. There is sufficient clearance. :dunno:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Rebus said:
Do you also find that if you turn bars full left that the horn button engages? Wunderlich makes a bracket for their GT bag which I just ordered from Santa Cruz BMW which shields the horn button so it won't engage.
I tried their site, and couldn't find it! If you get a chance, could you provide the link?

I have the Trail QL, which I thought I mounted far enough aft, but I still hit the horn and windshield buttons at full lock. However, my bag does stay off the tank...

some pics:

I also got the electric mount so all the electrics come off with the bag, and it works great! Pull the string and remove the bag and all my electronics in one quick second!

·
Registered
52 Posts
BeniciaRT said:
I tried their site, and couldn't find it! If you get a chance, could you provide the link?

I have the Trail QL, which I thought I mounted far enough aft, but I still hit the horn and windshield buttons at full lock. However, my bag does stay off the tank...
I forgot to mention that I have the Suburban barbacks and that's why I get the horn activated even with the smaller City bag.

I had to call the parts department at Santa Cruz (1-866-268-9311) to order the part. Ask for Devin, he just put my order together. Its about $25 for the $2 part.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks Steve!

If you get a the chance later when you receive it, I'd really like to see a picture of it.

Sounds like something I need to do...

·
Registered
52 Posts
BeniciaRT said:
Thanks Steve!

If you get a the chance later when you receive it, I'd really like to see a picture of it.

Sounds like something I need to do...
Richard - here is a photo of the part installed on the GT. I thought it might interfere with the horn button but it turned out not to be a problem. No more embarrasing accidental horn honks :boom: when turning left! Also a photo of the view of my setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
GS bag connection on a GT

No horn honking.
The GS bag does touch the tank on the down slope. A strip of Avery pro-tect film keeps it from scratching the tank and is just barely visible.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

Attachments

·
Let's Ride
218 Posts
taxswami said:
Bought the 8-liter quick-lock tank bag http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3780/570/.
I like the form and function, but it's not quite "floating" above the tank; especially where it slopes down, it is definitely resting on the tank, which I think defeats the purpose. Anyone else have this experience with this particular tank bag?
I have this bag and mine floats above the tank by a 1/4 inch. It's been a year since I installed the bag, but wasn't their an adjustment to how far forward or back you could attach the bag to the ring?
The shape of the bag makes a great "shelf" to rest against on long trips. I would email twisted throttle and ask about adjusting the bag to rest off your bag. I think the Pirate now sells this bag as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts