BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of getting my license to ride. The other day my teacher showed me how to clean a bike: He took it to a self service washing station, essentially he sprayed everything (except the chain) with soapy water, and the sprayed well with water.

Having had a closer look at my K75C, I see it's quite filthy, especially in the area behind the driveshaft and in front of the rear wheel, there seems to be a cavity full of dirt and grit. Can I just spray this down with soap and water? Any other particular areas I should be careful with?

Thanks,
Frode

·
Registered
305 Posts
I wouldn't really recommend a high pressure spray. Maybe occasionally but you can force water into bearing seals and electrical connections where it will eventually corrode. Get a good spray on degreaser, brush, garden hose and a nice Saturday afternoon. Advantage of this method is that you get to know you bike more intimately.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The times I did use a commercial car-wash on my last bike, I would stand about 4 to 5 meters away from the bike, to reduce the pressure to something closer to a garden hose.

But on the BMW, there are several areas (especially electrical connections and the dashboard gauges) which can easily be contaminated with water. So I have just been using a garden hose and fingertips to get pressure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
+2 on no pressure washing. I save up old toothbrushes for cleaning my bikes, both combustion and pedal :thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, no high pressure spray :) The self-service spray I mentioned wasn't high pressure, I believe.

Anyhow, toothbrushes... I bought a set of purpose-made "toothbrushes" the other day: steel, copper (I suppose) and nylon brushes. I gather that the steel and nylon brushes are for maximum and minimum force, respectively. However I have a sneaking feeling that there's some specific purpose for the copper brush because I've seen numerous similar copper brushes. Is it safe to use on steel/aluminum/etc. surfaces?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shortly after I bought my K75S I washed it (soapy water, garden hose) then the digital gear indicater started misbehaving. I have since found out that the sensor is somewhere at the rear of the gearbox near the swingarm and is not particularly waterproof, at least in my case, so be careful around there!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Negative on the sprayer - don't do that .

You can use WD 40 on all the greasy/oily/dirty stuff as it will lift it right off - spray it on a rag or directly and wipe it off. The follow up with a nice warm water soapy cleaning with a soft brush or a microfiber rag.

Take a look at your bike while you are cleaning to see what is going on. It's part of the bonding process. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts