BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What experience does anyone here has with Clear Alternatives K1200S LED tail light's quality? I bought a new one and the quality is 6/10. There is a chunk of clear glue/sealant (1/4in or 5mm in diameter) visible from inside the housing, at the base of the reflector. The finishing around the edges is a bit rough as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i bought one for my R from pirates lair. i agree on the quality, there is silver flakes visible and the edge leaves something to be desired. however with quality issues in mind, i like it more than the stock unit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I has issues with mine as well. I bought the standard bulb housing and had to file out the opening to get the LED fixture in. I'm told that it's virtualy invisible from behind.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The LEDs are slowly dying one by one over the last 12 months - I now have about 2/3 working and start getting the LAMPR error on my instruments panel (due to CANBUS detecting insufficient current/voltage drawn?). And since the unit is sealed I cannot replace the LEDs so the whole rear light is as good as throw-away... I will never buy an LED light assembly from CA again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought one of these for both mine and my wife's bike. They do a poor job of illuminating the rear of the bike during daylight hours. My wife usually rides behind me and after a few hundred miles we declared them useless for visibility.

But... they look cool.

I purchased a couple of Lite-Blazers and that problem is solved.

The outer two sets of lights are always on and you can see them for a mile, even in bright daylight. Plus, when you brake, the center bulbs become bright and the outer two sets of bulbs alternate blinking but just for a few seconds, then they all turn bright red (that way, when you are parked at a light with somebody behind you, you are not FLASHING LITES AT THEM AND GETTING ON THEIR NERVES).

I use the flashing to my advantage... when I'm at a stop light and somebody is approaching from the rear, I let off the brakes for a second and then re-engage them so that the lights flash and let them know I'm there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts