BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know where I can get a pair of clear front turn signal lenses or a clear tail light lens? I already have clear lenses on the rear signals, as well as Hornig LEDs that provide a totally clear/clean look since there are no amber bulbs to see through the lenses. The amber stock front signal lenses are particularly industrial in appearance. I'd like the same setup I have on the rear signals, but can't find a manufacturer or provider. Ditto with the tail light.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Pebo,

I share your pain...I too have the led rears with clear lenses, but long for the same set-up in the front. We could approach a company like Clear Alternatives or someone else, but
they probably want to see a number of interested potential buyers first.

Keep us posted if you find something and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
pebo said:
Anyone know where I can get a pair of clear front turn signal lenses or a clear tail light lens? I already have clear lenses on the rear signals, as well as Hornig LEDs that provide a totally clear/clean look since there are no amber bulbs to see through the lenses. The amber stock front signal lenses are particularly industrial in appearance. I'd like the same setup I have on the rear signals, but can't find a manufacturer or provider. Ditto with the tail light.
Some just popped up on Ebay:

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K1200S-BMW-CLEAR-Turn-SIGNALS-2005-06-K1200-S_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35580QQitemZ4603654099QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW<

Do a search on K1200S if the link doesn't work. All you have to do for the amber bulbs is get some high temp silver paint (any Home Depot has it) and spray the glass area of the bulb. They turn invisible in the reflective housing with the clear lens over it but still shine amber. I did that to all of my turn signals and brake light on my R1100S and it looked great.

·
Registered
324 Posts
ody2002,

these are from clear alternatives. they are on backorder but we should have some by next week. i will let everyone know how well they fit/work once they arrive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went ahead and bought the pair on eBay that ody2002 cited, rather than wait for evoluzione's backordered item, and will post a review when I receive them. Total cost including shipping within the US was $65.44. The seller's ebay store can be found at http://stores.ebay.com/Xtreme-Discount-Cycle

Horning from Germany has silver-coated 12v/10w bulbs for the K12S that illumate amber on their website at
http://hornig.i-netsolutions.de/?page=produkte&artgrp=15&artsubgrp=164
for 5,95 EUR each. These are pricey, plus the 22,00 EUR shipping charge to the US makes them out-of-sight if that is all you're ordering.

Does anyone know a supplier of the coated 12v/10w bulbs within the US?

Also, Xtreme Discount Cycle has a lot of smoked tail lights for other bikes on their website, but not for BMW. A smoked lens might look pretty good on the K12S to tone down the baboon butt look of the stock setup.

Anybody have any thoughts or know of a source?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Clear Alternatives supplies amber bulbs with the lenses. The bulb is a wedge type. I need to go to an auto parts store to get an actual part/type number. I'm hoping that I can find a silver type bulb. FWIW I ordered the clear version. To my eye the smoked looked... dirty.. that's the only way to describe it.. they have pictures of both on their site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hornig in Germany has the silver-coated wedge-type bulbs that fit botht the front and rear turn signals of the S for 5,95 EUR each. They shipping is 22 EUR with insurance, but if you email Helmut, he will ship however many you want for 8 EUR total without insurance. You can reduce the shipping cost per bulb further by combining orders with other S owners in your area. See Horning website at

http://hornig.i-netsolutions.de/?page=produkte&artgrp=15&art=1616

·
Registered
3 Posts
LED Dual function turn indicator/brake light

Just received a set of LED dual function indicators for a K1200S. They are a combination of two rows of four red LED’s for the stop light and sixteen amber LED’s for the turn signal function. The LED’s are potted in a white epoxy that mounts with self adhesive pads within the existing signal housing. They should look great with clear lenses. I ordered them from run-n-lites http://www.run-n-lites.com/ and plan to install them when my second KS arrives (long story but my first KS was totaled in transit from the BMW warehouse in NJ). I installed a set of all red LED’s from this company on my 03GT and have been pleased with their operation.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
Ok fellas here's the deal. The K1200S uses a 921 type front bulb.. at least that's what matched up at Pep Boys. Anyway I found Chrome type bulbs here http://autolumination.com/906.htm They also have a new bulb called a "Chrome Dome" that has just the tip in chrome. These new bulbs, according to them are 40% brighter than the all chrome bulb, but looks chrome through the clear lens. This is what I want in the front turn signals, have enough problems with visibility. The bulbs are also CHEAP $4.00 each. And you're welcome :))

·
Registered
896 Posts
I got the amber chrome domes.. I want cages to see my directionals! and I think they will look fine.. BTW I got the clear front lens in today.. great service, 2 days from Las Vegas to NJ.. They look excellent! I'll take pic when I get the C.D. bulbs in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Received coated bulbs for my front turn signals from Hornig in Germany, but found the European K1200S uses round base bulbs, while the US model K1200S uses wedge base bulbs. Do NOT order these from Horning; they will NOT fit US model K1200S front turn signals.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey Sportrider, how about a photo of your clear lens with the chrome dome bulb, I just installed the Clear Alternatives lenses front and rear, but I'd like to see what they look like with the CD bulbs. Also, are they as bright as the amber bulbs that come with the clear lenses.
Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does the rear turn signals also use 921 type bulbs? I'm wondering if I should go with ordering four of those chrome dome bulbs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts