BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
The metal spacer (bearing) comes out easily. Inside are two thin plastic cylinders that have a flange on each end. Prise those out. There is a video on youtube that shows how he did it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I went with the 5-bearing method. Using the plastic shoulder-sleeves as a washer kind of defeats the purpose of this mod as you want the bolt to rest on the inner race.

I ended up using superglue b/c I didn’t have loctite red, and wasn’t about to use loctite blue. If done right glue isn’t even entirely necessary.

Right now the only thing I’m stuck on is the washer. Lowe’s carries 8mm washers but they’re too large. I have aluminum crush washers that are the perfect size, but they won’t work for this application, it should ideally be steel.

I’ll probably go to the specialty store for bolts and washers if they’re open.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Holy shit I just got done. Took way longer than I care to admit. Apparently there’s a kit, just get that.

Ended up buying washers from O’Reilly’s and then drilling out the middle and sanding the burred ends flat. I removed the original washer bolt and just stuck the bolt in there. It’s large enough, and then stock one washer at the end that goes onto the bike.

Loctite setting now, will report back once I take it for a ride. Hopefully it’ll give me more confident shifts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just went for a ride. First impression: shifting is better, but it's not a night --> day change. It's still clunky, but I do feel more firmness/directness.

I think this is one of those changes that's more subtle but welcome over time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Penultimate Speed Bearing Linkage
4 bearing upgrade using parts on hand:
Two Skateboard Speed Rings (inner bearing contact)
Titanium bolt (longer threads and a smooth bearing surface)
8x14x4mm Precision Ball Bearings (will try flanged next)
Two washers (filed slightly to snap in place
One Nut (BMW's redundancy theme)

WoW, a no brainer upgrade.
The linkage felt firm and smooth from the get go.
Not the slop of a steel spacer, plastic sleeve over a crude threaded bolt.

I'll put together a retrofit upgrade

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just got through a good ride. As I suspected it’s a small upgrade that pays dividends over time.

Shifter is much more firm and solid. It makes riding -->| |<-- that much more enjoyable. So long as everything holds, which it should, I’ll be very happy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My bolt came out while on its first major ride (~1h).

I need to use more loctite for the threads. Kind of an unexpected occurrence. I removed the washer for the bolt (it’s sitting on the outside inner race). Could this have made a difference?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just checked your ebay listing. Would this be compatible with my 2006 K1200S? Are there installation instructions?

Bone
Yes I've tested / Installed on 3 different years of K1200 S
Yes I've been taking pictures. In my Aerospace past I was a Technical writer.
I'll send you a draft to preview / review.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried searching it on eBay but no results, do you have a link? Also any tips my bike isn't wanting to detect neutral on a cold start says it's in a random gear and I have to warm it up by straddling it with the kickstand up but once I go 4-5 miles it works fine? It's an 05 k1200s 18000 miles

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've finished my final design and took pictures of the install. It's 4 bearings plus a lock washer.
I'll post some tonight. If you order from eBay I'll send more than enough parts.
1620607708693.png

Attachments

21 - 40 of 43 Posts