BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through Lee Parks book "Total Control" this weekend.

He specifically mentioned that BMW's are notorious for difficult on/off
throttle transitions. Not sure when the book was written, but I think it was quite a while ago...so I'm chalking it up to a BMW thing...if it's been around that long, I don't see BMW fixing it.

I also met a guy up at Deals Gap this weekend on a 1970 BMW R75/5. We got to talking and he asked me how I liked the bike. I said the tranny is a bit clunky...he laughed and said I ought to ride his if I thought mine was clunky.
He had 160,000 miles on it and other than basic maintenance, the bike has
never had a wrench to it. So, I'm hopeful I'll get the same kinda mileage outta
mine.

I had a pretty good run through the Gap and managed to take a couple sportbikes and a dozen harley's or so...One guy on a GSXR and another on a SV1000. I was right on their ass and they eventually waived me past. I also met this guy on a yellow Goldwing - his Gap video is all over the net - him and another wing tearing it up through the Gap.This guy is insane and there's not many guys that can keep up with him on the wing. His decal on it is GL1800RR ...lol! He has 3 camera's set up on his bike and video tapes sportbikes going through the gap for a fee. I saw him sideways
through a curve on my way back through.

·
Registered
364 Posts
sportrider said:
I was reading through Lee Parks book "Total Control" this weekend.....

I also met a guy up at Deals Gap this weekend on a 1970 BMW R75/5. We got to talking and he asked me how I liked the bike. I said the tranny is a bit clunky...he laughed and said I ought to ride his if I thought mine was clunky.
He had 160,000 miles on it and other than basic maintenance, the bike has
never had a wrench to it. So, I'm hopeful I'll get the same kinda mileage outta
mine........ back through.
To get that many miles on the K12 is VERY VERY highly unlikely. Total different engineering mind-set. That particular engine/ tranny/ wheel set up easily goes 300,000 miles w/ only maintenance. Google it and other R bikes of the era. Many have accounts of 200,000 plus miles. Same wheel brgs..too! If one were to get a bike like that, and it was in specification at all wear points, then one was to use synthetic oil ( like Royal purple) the bike could conceivably roll in excess of 500,000 miles. This, due to the way understressed nature of the machine. The K12S, highly stressed...as you know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts