BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hooked
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 K100RS. The clutch cable has frayed and is hanging by a thread at the actuating lever end. Obviously I have to replace it. My question is, how difficult a job is it and does anyone know of a procedure to follow assuming I decide to do it? Problem is I don't know if it will last long enough to get to a dealer for replacement.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I replaced the clutch cable on my RT not that long ago and it was actually harder to remove the old one than fitting the new one.

Quite an easy job in the end and much easier with the tank off as it follows a bit of a tortuous route so take special note of where it goes as if you don't end up with nice smooth curves the clutch may tend to bind.

·
Hooked
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the process of removing the old cable, however I had to cut the rubber boot off at the transmission end in order to get the cable back through the access slot in the frame. So, when installing the new cable it looks like I have three options:

A) Route the cable starting from the rear (transmission end) to the front so I don't have to contend with the rubber boot issue
B) Route from the front and hope I can push the boot through the slot from the top
C) Try removing the boot and then reinstalling it after cable is routed (not sure this is even doable)

Anybody have any experience with this? Clymer manual is not specific about which direction to route.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's weird Bob - do you mean the concertina rubber bit that covers the exposed cable at the clutch arm end?
Surely that can be squidged small enough for any hole? Or taken off easily and put back on?
If not I'm going for answer A! :teeth

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did mine last week, tank was off already, easiest way was from the front and stick your hand through and guide it, If you try the other way the large rubber boot gets in the way.
Ray

·
Registered
243 Posts
With grease all over the rubber boot, if you work the cable up and down, while pulling, then one "rib" of the rubber boot will move through with each wiggle of the cable. It took me about 30 seconds to get all the folds of rubber through.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts