BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my cable adjuster almost fully extended at the lever to get proper adjustment/free play, and to actuate the sidestand retractor. When i first looked at it, the clutch arm was resting against the muffler, and the sidestand obviously wasn't being retracted! I guess the cable is stretched too far. As long as the clutch works fine and doesn't drag/slip, is it ok to have the cable adjustment maxed out? There doesn't appear to be any fraying at the cable end, however the rubber cover/cable gaiter is missing.

Otherwise, i have a new cable. Do i really need to remove the tank and body panels to route the new cable? If so, i may as well do the throttle cable at the same time. Thanks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
When we had K75s I would adjust the clutch cable with the lever at the back of the transmission. I can't remember for sure, but I thought the side stand had it's own adjustment.
My guess is your cable is fine if you adjust the freeplay at the back of the transmission.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yes, i have adjusted the freeplay at transmission. So, it's ok to have the handlebar lever adjuster dialed out quite a bit, like an 1.5 inch or so? The manuals say adjust at grip lever as necessary, but if you can't get the right length exposed at the clutch arm end, then the cable is too stretched. (in other words, the clutch arm won't travel up far enough when lever is pulled to activate the sidestand retractor arm.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cables will stretch, but I would not think they would stretch enough to have your adjuster screwed out that far at the clutch lever. We replaced the cables on our K75Ss around 50,000 or 60,000 miles and I do not remember the adjuster being screwed out that far. We traded the K75Ss 3 years ago, so I can't go out in the garage to see how everything looks.
Hopefully another member can look at their K bike or have a better memory than me and help you out.

·
Registered
686 Posts
motormike said:
I have my cable adjuster almost fully extended at the lever to get proper adjustment/free play, and to actuate the sidestand retractor. When i first looked at it, the clutch arm was resting against the muffler, and the sidestand obviously wasn't being retracted! I guess the cable is stretched too far. As long as the clutch works fine and doesn't drag/slip, is it ok to have the cable adjustment maxed out? There doesn't appear to be any fraying at the cable end, however the rubber cover/cable gaiter is missing.

Otherwise, i have a new cable. Do i really need to remove the tank and body panels to route the new cable? If so, i may as well do the throttle cable at the same time. Thanks!
Use some tape and join the 2 cables attaching the new cable bar end to
the old tranny end and thread your way through by pulling the original out from the bar
end. If you do it carefully use the old one for a spare. make sure to use some
grease on the barrel ends of the cable or you'll replace it again in 2 months
like me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
motormike said:
excellent suggestions. I'm going to get on that very soon!
Hi Mike, how's the RV treating you? :)

One more thing to watch for, the throwout bearing (piston) can collapse and cause the same symptom you have noticed.

Tucson

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
bmwmick said:
Hi Mike, how's the RV treating you? :)

One more thing to watch for, the throwout bearing (piston) can collapse and cause the same symptom you have noticed.

Tucson
This ain't no RV! It's a rocket as far as i'm concerned. i've got the new cable on, adjusted to spec, and everything's working fine. I can hear a little 'clunk' (clutch plate?) when i let the clutch out, not a gear clunk, sounds like clutch plate/springs, releasing? The clutch plate was replaced in Aug by a local BMW shop by previous owner. I don't think it's the pushrod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts