BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just what it says, mineral oil, Not DOT brake fluid! There is no reason to change it as it does not eventually absorb water like brake fluid unless there is a leak.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Check this thread for discussion on this very topic.

The short answer is that it's supposed to be a lifetime fill (never needs changing) because it doesn't absorb water like hydraulic brake fluid. But some guys still like to change it out every year or two years. It's not that difficult, or really all that expensive, but whether it's worth your time and trouble for some possibly unnecessary piece of mind is up to you . . . :)

And yes, it's Mineral Oil (available at your friendly local BMW dealer), not Dot 4 (or even DOT 5) brake fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
pmorritt said:
Just what it says, mineral oil, Not DOT brake fluid!
If the clutch is designed for Mineral you must use mineral. Brake fluid will quickly cause major issues with the seals etc. The link to the other thread is good info. After reading that I may change my clutch fluid since I am keeping the bikes long term. I have done everything else including a preventative FD tear down on the 09 K13GT to check the U joints and lube the splines.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The good news about the mineral oil is that it does not deteriorate like brake fluid and thus changes are not really needed. As long as the level is good, it should be fine. Brake fluid is subjected to much more heat from the brake calipers and tends to absorb moisture over time which is why it needs to be changed regularly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for info. My problem is the closes BMW dealer is three hours away.

BMW told me that Ktm dealers carry a good clutch fluid that would work also. We have a lot of Ktm dealers around compared to BMW dealers. BMW dealers are a endanger species in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
101 Posts
And, a lot of KTM owners put Automatic Transmission Fluid.. :dunno:

More temperature stable and resistant to oxidation that mineral oil seems to support. If you leave mineral oil in the clutch system for a long time it seems to get a black residue of aluminum oxide. I always flush the clutch mineral oil once a year in the KTM, but never have in the BMW.. :popcorn:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts