BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there another way to have to pay near a grand $$$ for a clutch job aside from stealing another gt, to get a new clutch kit?? Aftermarket? better price anywhere?

I got +48000 klm on the bike and the warranty won't cover it.

Thanks

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
If you get a new basket and oil pump gear with the new clutch plates and inner hub, consider yourself ahead.

I think the basket is $700+, the plates come with the inner hub, they cannot be ordered separately is another $700, the gear probably $70, gaskets, fluid, labor, etc.

Thus far, and I have looked far and wide, I have not found anyone else that sells plates for the new gen K bikes.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Sorry, no aftermarket parts available yet that I know of. :(

There is a slipper clutch kit for the Slant/4 engines, but it only replaces the inner hub, and you really don't want to know what they cost . . . :wtf:

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Meese said:
Sorry, no aftermarket parts available yet that I know of. :(

There is a slipper clutch kit for the Slant/4 engines, but it only replaces the inner hub, and you really don't want to know what they cost . . . :wtf:
I have one(slipper) in my K12R. It is basically the inner hub assembly. Problem is they don't come with plates, so you STILL have to buy the plates and inner hub complete from BMW. :( :spank1:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tought that I only had to replace the clutch pack! From what I'm reading, the basket and oil gear have to be replaced as well when you put in new clutch plates???

Why would I have to consider myself <ahead> if I have to replace all these parts?

Thanks for the replies.

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
The clutch basket wears quickly and is sometimes the cause of clutch difficulties.
The new spec clutch basket must be used with the new spec oil gear if your bike has the old spec basket (can't remember but I think that was in 2009). I was saying that the price of everything if you did it yourself would be WELL OVER $1000 maybe closer to $1500. If they could do it for around $1000, you are getting it for a significant discount. Yes, I know, it's still expensive.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tool number needed for a clutch change.

After discussing with my dear stealer, they charge 936.00 cdn for the clutch pack, I didn't dare to ask how much for the basket and gear, because they also told me this was a 12 hours job at 90.00/ hres. :wtf::wtf: . A quick estimation is near 3 grand, OUPS!

As a result I'm planning to do the job. I need the bmw tool numbers so I can get the needed tools.

1 Locating pin to lock the crank in place
2 Locating rod to hold the tensioning sprocket on the alternator drive
3 Clutch basket holding tool

I have the dvd for my 2008 kgt but the clutch replacement procedure isn't covered. Can you provide info on where I can find the procedure.

It may be a nice winter project :xcheer:

Thanks

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
First of all, it is not a 12 hour job. The clutch pack is easily accessible on the Slant/4 engines. Maybe your dealer was confused and thought you had a Flying Brick (which is another reason why you might not want to trust that estimate . . . )

Start with this thread.

I just wish we had better aftermarket parts to put in there . . .

And good luck with the project.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Hey Ken, that other thread is a great source of info but you never said how much you paid for any of those 3 new clutches? Did you pay for any of them out of pocket? Or warranty? What did they charge for a new pack and basket and labor?

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
I learned long ago to never add up the total costs . . .

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Well I know what the parts costs, I was just really wondering how many hours labor each job took. What does the book say and what was the actual. And did you have each one done by the same tech?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Canadian clutch job update

Finally I had to send the bike to the dealer for some cosmetic and repairs under warranty.
They troubleshooted the notchy attitude on my clutch to a grooved clutch housing.

They got the OK from BMW Canada to replace under warranty the gear (169.00), gasket (40.00), screws (another 40.00), the clutch housing (1321.77), the labor (300.00). The clutch plates were done at 70%.

I pay for a clutch pack at 888.00+taxes and I'll have a brand new clutch assembly. I'm happy that BMW replaces the majority of the parts plus labor, but I'd be much happier if the replacement parts last longer than the previous ones. A $3000.00 clutch at every 50,000 klm (30,000 miles) is not what I call reliable.

I don't believe I'll keep my kgt long enough to live with this again. A Concour 14 with cruise control may well fit my needs. Unless the K1600GT comes with better designed clutch and seat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts