BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 2006 K1200r is a new bike for me. I would like to hear if what I'm seeing is normal for others.
The character of the clutch lever pull is different than my other BMWs. I need to pull the lever right to the bar to disengage completely. Then on release meaningful engagement happens only at the very last bit of release travel. I'm thinking this might just be the way it is with that diaphragm spring. That spring is like a cone. When pressure is initially applied, a good potion of the force is directed inward towards the plates. But as this cone collapses, the direction of the force begins to be slightly directed more outward. This could explain why the initial movement of the lever has the most noticeable effect as does releasing the leaver, it happens in the same area. So to change this characteristic would involve a different spring rate, if that's the right term, or a shim under the central portion to the diaphragm spring. A shim might make the rate of movement of the hope fade less. Im not an engineer but don't think this is probably viable. This is my thinking about why the way this clutch lever feels the way it does. Do others have the same feel or is it just this bike. Am I trying to legitimize something that's just messed up? Have you done anything or found a technique that was able to alter this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would go an easier route. I got some non-OEM adjustable levers and now I can set the release point wherever I like. Might as well get levers for both sides to match. You can spend a lot for these levers but you wind up basically with the same lever no matter what you spend. I bought mine off ebay, about $15 USD. You can pay hundreds, but really.
Remember, this is a hydraulic system, not much adjustability in the system. The fluid that is used in the system is pretty much "life time". It doesn't need replacing very often. That's why there is not a bleeder fitting, only a place for one on the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
321 Posts
Keep in mind the K1200S clutch has always been a bag of trouble. Many threads on this and suggestions on how to up grade. Many people fit a K13 clutch. A fellow in the UK, John Sikes, rebuilds them well for half the cost. He has several videos on YouTube.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts