BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Clutch Noise/and stall

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Grgasteus 
#1 ·
Hello good people of this great forum, and Happy New Year !

Another mild day in the northeast has given me the pleasure to ride without all my winter gear :)
With that being said I ran into some issues with stalling in first and second gear. Thankfully the issue arose when I was close to home.

However, I did notice an intermittent noise coming from the clutch previously and the noise continued today. This is a new to me bike, and I am not sure if that was an existing problem. The previous owner says that he was not aware of any issues but also conceded the fact that he normally just jumps on the bike and goes. Also plays music while riding so any clutch noise that may have been present would have gone unnoticed to him. Not my style per se but to each their own.

I am currently working on gathering previous service history from the dealer to see if anything was done with the clutch but the previous owner does not recall having anything done.

Does anyone know of any known issues with the clutch that I may start to look into? Are there any recalls or things I should be aware of if and when I go to the dealership for service?

Best regards

See less See more
#3 ·
To the best of my knowledge the noise sounds like grinding, or rubbing. It happens while I’m letting the clutch out going from first to second. Stalling occurred at take off and also while going from first to second.

No noise or issues just letting the bike roll with the clutch in the friction zone. Bike has 43,262 km.

#4 ·
You have the dreaded bmw clutch syndrome where its design does not allow sufficient oil flow to the clutch. The fiction material is burnt off the innermost plate. Check it this video for an explanation of the problem.

Also check out Johns other videos re clutch issues

#5 ·
Wow lots of good info on that channel. Thanks for sharing Capt. However the noise I am experiencing is coming from the clutch lever not the basket. I did check the clutch fluid reservoir and fluid level is adequate. I plan going out again tomorrow to see if the issue still persists.

#6 ·
Are you sure? If it is the lever I’m sure you’d feel it through your clutch hand. Does it make that noise standing still and operating the clutch in neutral? Try getting a mate to listen closely to the clutch cover while you GENTLY let the clutch out in first gear with the brake on. At this stage I’m still convinced it’s the clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.