BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2007 k1200gt. my problem is i have been told that my clutch basket is rattling is that a problem that happens alot and is it expensive to fix ????????? thanks james

·
Registered
200 Posts
Depends on who told you and whether they're right. This is what I think is happening, though your description is pretty sparse (I recognize that your info source may not have said more).

The simple version is: the clutch basket lives adjacent to another gear and there are a set of springs that cushion the relative motions between the two. The springs are known to suffer from shortening with age, and when this happens the limited range of rotational motion between the basket and gear increases.

Springs are not available separately nor are they shown on the parts fiche. You have to buy the "Coupling cap" P/N 21217700501 as BMW calls the basket, according to my fiche which is keyed for my 2010 K13GT, although several K12 models are listed there.

It's not a simple thing to replace the springs as you have to disassemble the clutch and drill out several tapered rivets (which are also not available). Custom springs have been made by a couple of persons, one of whom is John Sykes in England. He may be your best bet for clutch rehab, other than taking your bike to the dealer or an indie you trust, and they will likely replace the basket entirely. John posted a handful of videos on Youtube under his username "sharealike1" which you should view if you've the time and inclination, rather than simply taking the bike to professional service.

A used basket is another choice, but you'd have to be able (or have someone) evaluate it for spring shortening.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would also take it to someone who knows K1200 (wedge) bikes (assuming the person who told you may not be familiar with the model). You need someone who is used to hearing the noises that they make. My clutch rattles, a rattle which goes away when I pull in the clutch. it is a low mileage bike (15,000 miles), which lead me to believe "they all do that :) ). My mechanic agrees. But my rattle and your rattle may be different.

I'd get a second opinion before pulling anything apart.

And on a lighter note, the advice I have most frequently heard given to stop rattles, is to buy a set of earplugs. :)

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
John Sykes as mentioned above can overhaul your clutch so it works better than new for about $1100. Or you can buy all the parts of a K1300 clutch and be satisfactory for about $2300. Oil flow is one issue for sure. Many people clean things up and put in a Barnett clutch pack with success. It is a big subject. Here is a link to John discussion a clutch that was sent to him with parts assembled incorrectly plus some conversation on lube holes. The Throw out rod on the 12 series bikes needs mods to allow more oil to flow also, so keep your eyes open for that discussion as you search.
Unfortunately most information I used to have was from IBMW.com, long lost now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you very much it was the bmw dealer where i live he came out and told me it sounds like the clutch basket and needs its 80000 km service the clutch feels fine no slippage just noisy where i let it out in neutral

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
The K bike clutch has a very robust throw out bearing that gets it's share of oil. I start my bike with the clutch pulled in and in first gear, warm up for 20 seconds and take off. At stop lights I sit there in first gear, makes it easy to move if needed also. I never am in neutral while the bike is running, ever. No clunk no hassles no worries. That bearing was fine at 112,000 miles when I inspected the clutch.

·
Registered
200 Posts
John Sykes videos

Here's the full list of clutch videos by John Sykes, and two more I found informative, listed by date and subject. They mostly affect K12 clutches, but due to frequent superceding of parts by the factor, there's a continuum of troubles. The list includes the two vids linked by Beech above.

Also be aware that too much information can have you immediately thinking the worst, so moderate your conclusions with a little "things aren't usually as bad as they look at first".

Lamellar pack fitment ,July 11, 2017

More about improving oil flow, Nov. 28, 2016

Clutch rebuild update, Mar 5, 2016

K12 vs K13 clutches, Nov. 30, 2015

Oil delivery to clutch, June 22, 2015

Oil pump runs but no oil to clutch, June 20, 2015

Clutch disassembly, why they vibrate, June 19, 2015

Poor hub lube, antijudder spring essential, June 19, 2015

Inner plate loose, Mar 11, 2015

, Dec. 29, 2012

Basket rocks but does not rotate, Dec. 7, 2012

Don’t shim your springs tight. Sept. 29, 2012

Belville spring on its seat, Mar 9, 2012

Terry’s video:
, How the clutch works

Alsmotorrad BMW:
, K12GT clutch replacement

·
Registered
41 Posts
The clutch basket is famous for rattling, I would live with it as I do with my 2006 k12S. I think i have around 40k on the bike. Clutch feels great but always get that busy sounding rattle! I remember a lot of posts on ibmw for the issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The problem is though, the oil feed to the clutch. The rattling is a separate issue. My 08 k1200r had 62k miles on it when I decided to send it to John Sykes. Apart from the rattle it worked fine but John told me that the first plate had lost most of the friction material due to a lack of oil and I was just about to lose all drive. I guess what I’m saying is just because it’s working now doesn’t mean things are ok. I am also very gentle with my bike so things could’ve been worse.

·
Registered
125 Posts
all 4 cylinder bike have clutch rattle, if idle is low or the throttle body balance is out it becomes very noticeable, if you pull the clutch and it mostly/totally goes away try this...

give it as service, set the idle speed stepper motor calibration using the motoscan app, then balance the throttle bodies

if its still nasty then you'll need to strip to check if the basket has heavy wear, you ought to check u have the plastic cam chain saver in place, that'll give u far more headaches

·
Registered
1976 R75/6-1983 R80RT-1986 R80RT-1990 K1 ABS-2009 K1300GT
19 Posts
all 4 cylinder bike have clutch rattle, if idle is low or the throttle body balance is out it becomes very noticeable, if you pull the clutch and it mostly/totally goes away try this...

give it as service, set the idle speed stepper motor calibration using the motoscan app, then balance the throttle bodies

if its still nasty then you'll need to strip to check if the basket has heavy wear, you ought to check u have the plastic cam chain saver in place, that'll give u far more headaches
Hi yes Bo, good about clutch lever pull in. James, I suggest if you are riding along listening to that rattle as I am currently doing also, try pulling in all available free play on the clutch without actually disengaging. Since the noise goes completely away on my 2009 K13Gt, I am going to attempt just a throw out bearing replacement that the internal push tube rests on. I will post sometime late this summer when completed. But this is what a veteran BMW Motorrad shop mechanic has conveyed to me. Worth investigating? I think so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is in response to #6, sorry forgot to quote (still a newbie on here in terms of posting)

I have a 2006 k1200GT which has 13k miles of which I've put on 2K, and have heard about this rattle from an ex-BMW mechanic who said it usually happens at 20k and pretty much recommended exactly the same approach as you.

#6 was "The K bike clutch has a very robust throw out bearing that gets it's share of oil. I start my bike with the clutch pulled in and in first gear, warm up for 20 seconds and take off. At stop lights I sit there in first gear, makes it easy to move if needed also. I never am in neutral while the bike is running, ever. No clunk no hassles no worries. That bearing was fine at 112,000 miles when I inspected the clutch. "

It's no biggie doing that, and I love the bike, so that's what I do now. Your mileage is reassuring! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts