BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working my way through the clutch/o-ring/rear seal job. 1998 K12RS 60K Miles.
Replacing all the usual bits including slave cyl, plus some tranny seals just because I'm in here and don't want to have to come back anytime soon.

Clymers says to inspect clutch rod for wear but gives no real things or specs to check.
There is no obvious damage. Rod is true. It is the old/original style without the cutout for the felt sleeve.
Is there a reason to replace this?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yours looks about the same as mine and I went ahead and reused mine with about 50K on the clock. You can pick up a good used upgraded version for $10-$20 on ebay if you're so inclined.

·
Registered
15 Posts
These rarely give any issues, so if it is straight (they only get bent if you take the clutch / gearbox out incorrectly) then I would re-use it on the basis of if it is not broken don't fix it.
The seals, correct torque and lube for the splines is more important - correct type and not too much of it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bennair; Dunnatt

I would urge you to refill this system with Dot 5 fluid - in case it decides to leak again. Dot 5 is silicon, and much more user friendly when rubber seals are in the area. DO NOT use Dot 5 in the brake system - but it might work if you delete the ABS system..

Also, use the best grease you can find on the rod - I found some instrument grade graphite stuff when I did this same task.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts