BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While some of you have actually completed this task I am still chipping away at this.

I am at the stage of lifting the frame to remove the transmission and have a couple of questions.

Do you have to release the radiators to raise the frame?

Do you have to release/remove all the injectors and related components as in the book to remove the starter, that is assuming you must remove the starter?

I was at a dealer today and a tech told me I may have to grind away some of the right frame to get at the tranny. He said it was not structural damage and was out of sight. I gathered that he meant if you could not raise the frame enough. Thoughts?

He also made an effort to tell me that you need the BMW tools to be sure the seal removal/replacement process is done properly. I assume with some care this can be done with substitutes, since so many have done this.

After looking at the new K12S and K12R at the dealer I had half a mind to just keep taking the rest of the bike apart and sell the parts and buy a new K12R!! But I will press on!

·
Registered
398 Posts
You have to remove the starter bolts but no need to touch the radiators and injectors etc.

Grind the frame, really??? The back of the engine is going to swivel up and down a little, the trick is to get it at the right angle and the transmission is going to slip right off clearing everything.

I made a wood frame, and using the footpeg bolts and the holes on the sides of frame where the pegs mount, supported the bike. Then using a floor or bottle jack support the engine around the oilpan (protect the oil pan with a piece of wood in between). With the jack, you slightly change the angle of the engine in respect to the frame. Get the right position and you will have no problem pulling the transmission out.

To remove the rear main seal, you can use an inexpensive seal puller like this . To replace the real, you need to oil it slightly and then need something to drive it into place EVENLY the whole way. I found a big socket (I think it was a speciality socket for car bearings or something) that fit the seal perfectly, it worked really well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the grinding comment a bit strange. I am going to do something similar to what you did, unless I can figure a way to lift the frame from a joist. Do you recall the rough weight of the tranny?

I've removed and seated seals the way you describe, I'll pick one of those OTC type pullers up.

These details help a lot. Thanks Brent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hanging Frame

This is how I supported the frame and engine for the main seal replacement. The wood at the front tire and straps on the bars are only to steady bike while I wiggle the parts off. I threaded a couple jbolts,type used to hang bicycle, into joists and ran straps with a tiedown to maneuver frame. scissor jack with block of wood to support engine and did NOT loosen gas tank or any of engine supports. Transmission came right out with a little persistence. Once you clear the 1/4" tabs on trans. she'll come right out. No scratches or grinding frame. Trans. weight @50# I guess. It works well with a second set of hands. Saved a bunch of money by doing myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
spidle bolts??? Am I doing something wrong?

I have to replace the clutch slave, I've remove the bearings from the sides of the paralever, and I'm down to the "spindle" bolts that the bearings ride on. The spec's show 160Nm torque, but I've shattered two 14mm sockets already. I'm using 7-10min heat on the arm and bolt too. I've purchased a 14mm 6point impact socket to use. Am I doing something wrong, are these reverse threaded?? Have others found these bolts to be over torqed?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Like you are doing, heat and an impact socket. They are not reverse threaded.

Was the clutch slave leaking? If so, you must replace the transmission seals too. Otherwise, you will be doing this again very soon. The brake fluid eats seals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Right on man. The slave leaked at the banjo bolt last summer. I thought I was real smart when I fixed it with two 80cent washers. I asked a few questions at the LOCAL dealer, but no-one gave me a heads-up about the engine seals, until I lost all clutch (with no external fluid leak) last week. When I called Mike at Ozzies in Chico, CA, he knew right off what had happened. This seems to be a design flaw that I hope BMW addressed in later models, and would be nice if they covered the cost of now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Next Step. Please HELP!

Ok, I got the bearing studs out last night. I'll have to replace the left one, as the head is pretty well buggered-up now.

Is it assumed one must replace the slave as a unit, or can it be fixed with a new internal seal?

How do I remove the seal on the end of the transmission input shaft? I tried pulling it with a awl, but the brake fluid seems to have made it real gooey.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The clutch slave is purchased as one unit.

There are two transmission seals you want to replace for sure. I think these are the numbers
23 12 7 667 733 shaft seal
23 12 7 656 019 shaft seal

That rear transmission seal is a major pain to get at to remove. I kept picking at it with an awl. Be careful not to mar the aluminum transmission housing were the seal is seated against.

Since you are in there anyway, I would replace the rear main engine seal too (or else Murphy's law will take effect...)

Brent

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmm... lets be clear

I'm not all the way there. I'm not planning on pulling the tranny right now. I know that I'm only postponing the inevitable clutch job, but now is not the time (I ride all winter here).

So, getting the seal out is just a matter of 'digging it out'. Hmm ...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a caveat on the transmission output shaft seal that cautions not damaging the underlying plastic fitting when levering the seal out. I am told at the dealer that when replacing the seals to put pressure on the outer edge of the seal only when seating them. Sears Craftsmen dental picks were invaluable to me for this.

The seals Brent refers to are the transmission output and the output cylinder (slave) seal. I also changed the shift indicator seal. The only other one on this side is the shifter seal, but this can be done with the transmission in place. I have heard nothing about having to do this one though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts