BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With about 4000 miles on it my clutch began acting up. It seemed to not release fully. This was most noticable at stops. If stopped in first gear it was difficult to move the lever to neutral. There seemed to be some pressure on the drivelive as if the clutch was dragging a bit. If stopped in neutal, no matter how long I waited with the clutch fully pulled in, putting it into first was accompanied with a clunk and jerk.

This week the shop replaced the "clutch basket", all of the plates in the clutch. Apparently there is some type of retaining ring which upon failing causes the clutch to not release fully. New clutch, problem solved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had exactly the same symptoms appear at 5700 miles. The entire clutch "assembly" was replaced, correcting the problem. Nothing other than normal wear was seen. The transmission was removed/inspected as well with no problems noted.
Ironically the same thing happened to my K1200LT with 30,000 mi, also replaced under warrenty.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for this post.
With just under 5k on mine, just in the last few days I'm noticing the clutch seams to not be fully disengaging at in-gear stops.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Continuing Clutch Problems

After having the clutch replaced (see my previous post) all went well for several hundred miles. Then the lever got soft. Returned to the dealer. Too much fluid in the system due to a different clutch design of the replacement clutch. Correct level achieved and all was well for a few hundred miles, then the soft clutch lever returned.

I had great difficulty shifting and the lever pulled 3/4 of the way in before affecting the clutch. Returned to dealer. Seems the little adjustment knob had fallen off and this affected the way the lever worked. Knob replaced, fluid checked. All OK.

Now, about 600 miles later, the lever is soft again. Back to the dealer this morning.

Ken

·
Registered
686 Posts
That sounds like a hydraulic issue. Too much fluid in the system? Air
more than likely. It wasn't doing this before the other issue so they've
messed up something in there. Slave cylinder is my wag. Is the fluid level
still OK? Hopefully just some teething issues, like my starter relay,
brakes, and battery have been :)

I thought my clutch was slipping at the track, but some guy said they were
"*******" so i guess it was the tire.

Best,

·
Registered
433 Posts
Eric,

You're right on the money. There is air in the line. The mechanic doesn't know how it got there, but he diagnosed the problem in about 30 sec. I left the bike for the necessary repairs.

Ken

·
Registered
353 Posts
kencorsun said:
Eric,

You're right on the money. There is air in the line. The mechanic doesn't know how it got there, but he diagnosed the problem in about 30 sec. I left the bike for the necessary repairs.

Ken
Ken,

If someone came to me with a bike with the symptoms you descirbe, the first thing I would have done is check for air in the hydraulics. I have the advantage of not using the BMW service manual as a guide to troubleshooting, I guess. :wtf

I'm not bragging, just wondering why minor problems end up costing so much. This is not the first post where a cluthc hydraulics bleed (20 minutes) would have saved a lot of time and moeny. I'm thinking the factory may be skipping this step.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Clutch and Transmission problems

I have had and am still having numerous problems with my clutch and transmission. The transmission was replaced when it started popping in and out of second gear at around 8000 rpm with the throttle wide open. Replacing the tranny solved that problem. Then a few thousand miles later the clutch started squealing when engaging first gear. The dealer has replaced:

-- The entire clutch basket
-- The Clutch push rod due to pitting on the tip (This was after the clutch basket was replaced)
-- The transmission (Second time)
-- The Clutch lever
-- The clutch slave cylinder
-- Switched the engine oil from dino to synthetic.

I am still having the same problem. When I let the clutch out in first gear the clutch gives a yelp and sometime shudders. The current theory is that the clutch oiling tube (Sorry, I don't know the actual part name) is not providing enough oil. This was redesigned for the K1200GT but it is the same part for the K1200S.

I am also having intermittent problems with the throttle not responding properly. This manifests itself when I roll off of the throttle and then roll back on, the engine bogs down. It also happens with rapid throttle transition's such as accelerating hard out of a corner. I don't know, these K bikes just do not seem very reliable. I have had a lot of other warranty work done and I could not afford this bike if I had to pay for this myself. I am thinking about going back to Japanese sports bikes. I have never had a single problem with any of the ones I have owned.

Cheers!

·
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.
2,029 Posts
kencorsun said:
Eric,

You're right on the money. There is air in the line. The mechanic doesn't know how it got there, but he diagnosed the problem in about 30 sec. I left the bike for the necessary repairs. Ken
What dealership did you take your bike to that made you leave the bike just to bleed the line? I'm surely thinking that it wasn't Cross Country in Metuchen, as they would've done it right there and then. Besides, I know them well enough to bet they would'nt have made the blunder in the first place.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own two K1200 S machines.. Both USA registered although one is now in the UK as we work there a lot.

Both bikes have had the SAME problem.. hard to find neutral, and this most annoying "chirp" when you let the clutch out and pull away.

The UK bike did it for over 3500 miles before I finally had enough and at 11000 miles had the clutch changed by the dealer. the whole thing cost me about 600 Quid ( US$1000)

The dealer, Vines of Guildford, were pretty good about it and they had found several recal items that had not been done on the bike by the dealer in Florida ( 441 BMW, Ft Lauderdale) Vines did all the recall work for nothing for me which I was impressed with but then hit me with the full clutch job. I am currently fighting with BMW .. My point being that in this day and age we are a global community and warranty should be warranty anywhere in the world especially when it concerns parts that appear to have a design fault built in.

As I write this my bike is in at Bahrnstormer BMW ( Winchester ,UK) and they report the ABS pump failed.. parts are 1050 pounds Stirling and my steering head bushes have substantial play in them.. Love to ride this bike BUT at what cost !! all this in 13000 miles.

News is Barnstormer have got BMW to cover the parts for the ABS and the steering bushes and the service and labour will be mine.. result ! got to like BMW service in the UK.. The USA is CRAP, ok specifically 441 BMW, Ft Lauderdale....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts