BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch master on my K12GT went very low last week and someone told me that I may have a slave cylinder problem and if I do, then I may need to rebuild the entire clutch! Also he said that if I get clutch slippage, this means that I AM LEAKING FLUID INTO THE CLUTCH MECHANISM! Well I went to pass at high speed and the clutch did indeed slip! Please someone throw me a bone and let me know that I am not going to have to drop a big nut on this thing!

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
CrazyDiamond said:
The clutch master on my K12GT went very low last week and someone told me that I may have a slave cylinder problem and if I do, then I may need to rebuild the entire clutch! Also he said that if I get clutch slippage, this means that I AM LEAKING FLUID INTO THE CLUTCH MECHANISM! Well I went to pass at high speed and the clutch did indeed slip! Please someone throw me a bone and let me know that I am not going to have to drop a big nut on this thing!
You have the infamous clutch slave leak. Do a search, lots posted on this failure mode and the fix. You're gonna have to pull the tranny and rebuild the clutch, replace the engine rear main seal and tranny input seal while in there. Make sure the clutch pushrod has the new wiper on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Infamous Clutch Slave Leak

You were correct, I took the bike to the dealer last week and they did indeed tell me that the slave cylinder was leaking and the entire clutch and slave were in need of replacement. Since I bought the bike just three weeks ago, thay agreed to do it for free. WHEW!! Seems that the previous owner traded it in with the problem.
By the way, Sierra Cement is great on my knees. I just wish that I could get out there to ski it.

Attachments

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
CrazyDiamond said:
The dealer is Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD. Good people great bikes.
Ok, while they're in there, have them replace the input transmission seal and engine rear oil seal. Parts are cheap, labor would be appx 1 hour more.

Brake fluid does nasty things to regular oil seals. It's worth the investment on the chance that the brake fluid came in contact with both to have this done vs. ~$1200+ some time later. If the clutch is being replaced due to contamination, your seals will be going out within a year.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1 Posts
CrazyDiamond and Razel, nice job with your postings, it was valuable info. Love your bike crazyDiamond, I have the same color and year. I think I might have the same problem as well. I noticed a slippage in 6th gear as I was accelerating tonight. Also, what did you mean by "clutch master on my K12GT went very low last week"? Also, do you know how much this job should run (ballpark $ and time)? Your dealer should be commended.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clutch slave problem

Schuler, glad to help. When the slave leaks into the clutch, the flluid needs to go somewhere and that somewhere is into the clutch thus, the clutch master will go down. You need to get the problem Dxed now, because if you let it go, you could wreck the entire clutch mechanism and get stranded. As it stands now, if you do have the slave leak, you will need to have the entire clutch mechanism replaced and the seals all replaced. My job was $2200.00. I was lucky that the dealer ate the cost because there was less than 100 miles since I bought the bike. Bought it with 13,500 and have put 3000 on it in the last 4 months with 3 weeks in the shop. Love the bike. A real marrage wrecker!
Rick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this something that should be expected in buying a K-bike of this vintage? I've noticed too many bikes for sale, like this one that have recently had similar problems. Was there a recall, or is there some sort of preventative procedure available?

Sorry, I'm new here and haven't been able to locate the other threads referred to on this topic.

Cheers

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Those that know, wait until they see a weep of oil under the clutch housing, or some oil from the rear drive, or clutch slipping and want to avoid a big dealer expense so might sell.

Conversely, those that know, may buy the bike showing the infamous leaks having asked the seller to check out the dealer price to repair. Then they wrench the bike themselves and get a decent bike for not a lot of money. :)

What does this all mean? There may be more imperfect used K-bikes around than perfect bikes. All the perfect bikes are still being ridden by their happy owners who are not ready to sell yet (no faults).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts