BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding this K75S for three years and over 20K miles I learned at the Klassic K Kampout that my clutch interlock switch is bad. I thought it was a bit strange that the bike had to be in neutral to start but just accepted it.

So…
How in the heck is this thing supposed to be removed/installed? I was not concerned with old one as the switch plunger was obviously stuck in so I cut the wire and used an 11mm deep well socket to remove it from the assembly. I see no way to use a tool while installing the new one (to be ordered soon). The connector will not fit through a socket and there is no way to reach it with a wrench. Do they even make small split sockets like that used with O2 sensors to allow the wire to come out the side? It's exactly the same part as the front brake light switch which is easily accessible.

I may get a cheap socket to modify or just install it by hand.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I feel you pain. If it were me I would just that , get a cheap socket of appropriate size, dremel a slot for the wire and be done with it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pmorritt said:
I feel you pain. If it were me I would just that , get a cheap socket of appropriate size, dremel a slot for the wire and be done with it.
Yup. When the new switch arrives I'll look for a 1/4" drive, deep well 11mm or 7/16" at HF or at pawn shop to cut a slot for the cable relief.

·
Registered
478 Posts
FlyingDuck said:
Cut the wiring and cover off it and try needlenose pliers.
🍟😱

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could not find a place to buy an individual socket to cut today so I just screwed it in using my fingers. There is no real stress and if it backs out it would allow starting in gear without the clutch lever pulled. I'm used using neutral anyway.

I'll consider it fixed and keep an eye on it.

Wonder if there is a "special" BMW tool for the installation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts