BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how many miles (ball park figure) should I expect before needing a new clutch.

Last time I had my bike in for BMW work (the proverbial cam chain) they tried to sell me on a new clutch basket. Did I need one? No but you will. So, I guess I'll wait.

The clutch doesn't engage until the handle is almost completely out (on the "1" dial setting).

So is it time?

·
Registered
377 Posts
kbmwrs said:
So how many miles (ball park figure) should I expect before needing a new clutch.

Last time I had my bike in for BMW work (the proverbial cam chain) they tried to sell me on a new clutch basket. Did I need one? No but you will. So, I guess I'll wait.

The clutch doesn't engage until the handle is almost completely out (on the "1" dial setting).

So is it time?
Late engagement is normal and not an indication of a worn out clutch.

As far as I know, there are two ways to tell if the clutch is gone or going--1. It outright fails (slipping). 2. Inspection - but that requires pulling the assembly from the bike and requires some special tools.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
It's not mileage based, as it varies greatly with rider style.

Slipping is one indication. Especially if you're in a higher gear at lower speed, roll on the throttle, and the RPMs rise faster than the bike moves forward.

What I've seen these clutches do is wear notched into the inner clutch spline and outer hub. This manifests as juddering, or jerkiness in engagement, especially when trying to take off smoothly form a stop. You let the handle tout smoothly and slowly, and the clutch grabs erratically and the bike jerks or judders forward. Sometimes that's accompanied by a squealing noise, and sometimes not.

The clutch plates may still have lots of life left, but if the spline and basket is gone you might as well replace the entire clutch while you're in there.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Unless you're experiencing any symptoms (and as was mentioned above seemingly late clutch engagement isn't one of them on this bike) I would put it out of your mind. When not abused wet clutches usually last a very long time and when the time does come you'll know it.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I seem to recall something about the newer baskets having a different spline set which requires changing out the transmission input shaft too. Been a while. :confused:

Mack

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hey if you don't mind me hogging your thread, when I release my clutch after riding it a number of miles (especially on a hot day it seems like), I get a weird sort of squeal noise. Hard to describe, not a real high pitched squeal, lower than that, almost like, hmmm, rubbing a couple blocks of wood together? Just during the engagement process. It seems like it has always done it. Just under those conditions though, not all the time. Doesn't seem to matter if I have used the clutch a lot or not, say I ride 10 miles then come up to a stop sign, when I go it will do it, most of the time.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had the shudder/chatter on release of the clutch handle for some time.....mmmmm

I thought it was the fact I was two up and loaded, max weight,.

Look like a winter clutch job coming up.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I just thought of this now; the noise mine makes is sort of like a slipping fan belt, just really quiet though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mine develop the squeal and judder at around the 2K mile mark. Dealer insisted it was normal, which we all know is complete bull crap.

I now have 45K on the original clutch, same shudder and squeal at take off.

I am sure when I pull the assembly this winter for inspection that I'll fine the source of the squeal.

·
Registered
498 Posts
kbmwrs said:
I've had the shudder/chatter on release of the clutch handle for some time.....mmmmm

I thought it was the fact I was two up and loaded, max weight,.

Look like a winter clutch job coming up.

Uhhhh, you better look up the price of said basket and friction plates before you think about doing this before ti has completely failed...

Parts Fiche

·
Registered
752 Posts
BeniciaRT said:
Uhhhh, you better look up the price of said basket and friction plates before you think about doing this before ti has completely failed...
Yes. The squeal/judder isn't at all uncommon on these bikes (not saying that's as it should be, just the way it is) and can exist at all levels from slightly noticeable to severe. If it's anything less than severe one has to make a judgement call as to whether it's worth nearly $2,000 in parts alone to fix it (and maybe only for a while at that.)

·
Registered
377 Posts
$2K in parts - BMWs do indeed suck. I've loved every single one I've owned and in particular the K12GT has been a joy, however the cost of ownership is nutty--and that is with me doing all of the service work.

Unless something dramatic changes at BMW, it certainly will be the last of my BMWs.

Still, I do plan to pull the basket and take a peek this winter...just can't help myself Richard.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Bandera said:
Unless something dramatic changes at BMW, it certainly will be the last of my BMWs.

Still, I do plan to pull the basket and take a peek this winter...just can't help myself Richard.
I fully understand!!! Both points!!!:D

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BeniciaRT said:

Parts Fiche

So Rich,
Are you saying I should get it done before something drastic happens and have to pay more? Or were you just warning me about the potentail cost? Which I know will be ridiculous. :boom:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was just bringing up the cost of doing it as a preventative maint. item...

I think the possibilities of something catastrophic happening and causing any more damage outside of the parts you will replace would be slim. I'm gonna wait until I can no longer stand it or it becomes NON-optional before I'm in there again...

·
Registered
430 Posts
i had them replace my clutch rite when i bought it with 30-k on the clock ,the shudder is gone but still hear a sqeal every now and then ,but it's much smoother and as i said the shuddering is gone and that was annoying ,the sqeal not so bad ,like riding a lil pig...lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2008 K12 has started making the squealing noise of the clutch. I looked on a European forums and they say that Appears when BMW made ​​the repair they install the clutch K13 model 2009 ... Have you ever seen this problem on models 2009 and more ?
Excuse me for my bad english, i am from Quebec and I speak French

·
Registered
118 Posts
Allô

Which European forum did you see this info?

I got my clutch assly replaced at around 45000klm because of a grooved basket. The clutch plates were still at 70%. I'm at 90000klm now and no problem so far.

Another bike is tempting me but this kgt does everything so well I'm afraid I'll miss it's punch and good handling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2007 GT at 50K miles started to slip on the highway in high gear. Had not been ridde much in the past several months and it was the first time on the highway in a while. I have never beat on it. The dealer has it now and is replacing the pack of friction pads lamellar at $700 for the part. The recommendation by BMW is the clutch basket and oil pump sprocket gear at $873 and $102 at the same time. The dealer is not sure about the clutch basket parts and we are going with just the lamellar and see if that works. If it was all done it would be north of $2000 for a clutch repair.
I am thinking about a Yamaha FJR or a Yamaha Tenere for the next bike. These part prices are like BMW automobiles. Talked to a guy at the shop who has a 2010 R1200GT clutch blow up this summer while he was traversing the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, 400 miles from a dealer. Not just starting to fail and nurse it down the road failure, a complete failure without warning. He is somewhat fed up with BMW now.
Wish these forums did not have such complaints. But the information is really useful. Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yo, Mke!

mikes-ss said:
i had them replace my clutch rite when i bought it with 30-k on the clock ,the shudder is gone but still hear a sqeal every now and then ,but it's much smoother and as i said the shuddering is gone and that was annoying ,the sqeal not so bad ,like riding a lil pig...lol
What did you pay for the new clutch? I need one...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts