BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is another sub-forum about gear shift problem. Personally I have no problem with normal shifting except for it being clunky initially in the first few thousand kms. If you want smoother and faster up-shifting, clutchless upshift is the way. I have found that the optimal range for smooth clutchless upshift between 1-2 is 4000-5000rpm, for other gears 4000-6000rpm. In traffic and around town when you are riding leisurely, don't use clutchless between 1-2 because the gear will not engage properly or pop out to neutral. What is the experience/opinion of other KS riders here?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I use the clutch, but I pre-load the shifter and it works pretty well...I use maybe 1/4 the clutch for shifts.

I've been short shifting into 2nd and there's no clunk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
tatran said:
There is another sub-forum about gear shift problem. Personally I have no problem with normal shifting except for it being clunky initially in the first few thousand kms. If you want smoother and faster up-shifting, clutchless upshift is the way. I have found that the optimal range for smooth clutchless upshift between 1-2 is 4000-5000rpm, for other gears 4000-6000rpm. In traffic and around town when you are riding leisurely, don't use clutchless between 1-2 because the gear will not engage properly or pop out to neutral. What is the experience/opinion of other KS riders here?
Clutchless upshifts work rather well on this bike. However, you will shorten the life of the transmission if you continue the practice. If you are looking for smoother shifts simply use the preload method with a shortened clutch pull.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
lightspeed said:
Clutchless upshifts work rather well on this bike. However, you will shorten the life of the transmission if you continue the practice. If you are looking for smoother shifts simply use the preload method with a shortened clutch pull.
Quite the contrary. If you do it properly, and that is not hard to do on this bike, it should reduce the wear on the clutch and put no extra stress on the gearbox. You may see split opinions in various forums if you do a google search on clutchless upshift but overall, most enthusiasts (with many years of riding experience) and experts claim that clutchless upshift does not damage the transmission (if done properly of course). But why listen to me - an unknown rider to you. Have a search on the motorcycle magazines online and they will tell you more about clutchless upshift. Have a look at this interesting article also - it will make you rethink on clutchless upshift and pre-loading:
http://www.vf750fd.com/blurbs/shifting.html
Now, this is not to say that I think one is better than the other in terms of reducing wear. One needs to do it properly regardless which method he/she chooses, that's all. The advantage with clutchless upshift is that it is faster and more stable to the bike dynamics during shifting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts