BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got into the K bike scene. Only have had R's previous. My K 75 just seems to be very cold blooded. Starts fine. Have to keep idle set on position 2 for several miles (5) then all is well and idles fine. Have not removed the thermostat or opened it up for inspection. Understand there is a common sensor that feeds the ECU as well as the fans. Fans come on in traffic and all seems to work as designed. Is this just a new way of doing business or do I have a problem. I live in Jacksonville, Florida and the weather has been unusually warm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All are.

All K75's are cold blooded. It is just the way they are. Leave the throttle accelerator on until it warms up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FlyingDuck said:
It's normal for a K75 to warm up for a few miles after starting. Do not let it sit and idle to warm up before riding as that can foul the plugs. In case you don't have an owners manual it specifically states that you should start it and ride off.

Yes, agree; ride off on that K and it'll warm soon enough. I do however leave the fast idle on until I get going. Of course all BMW's are meant to be ridden off on after starting and it will so state in the owner's manual. It is never good to let a motorcycle sit and idle too long, any brand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
K bikes like to be used and if yours has not had a lot you will find it will improve the more you use it. I have an rs and here in Australia ( Dry heat) , I keep it on position 1 for at least a km then its ok. My friend has a 75 and this appears to be the norm. Enjoy your bike, with a little servicing it will give you many miles of pleasure.
Cheers
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts