BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else have this problem with their 06 k1200s?

Just got 900 miles on it...and had the first service done....During this whole time, the bike takes several cranks to get it started.

Once warm it's great, but the first start in the morning aways takes 3 starts and stalls?

anyone else have this problem? the dealer said they fixed it at the first service, but it is still doing it.

The dealer is 2 hours away, so if this is not uncommon, I was going to wait until my next service appointment to have it looked at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
When I got my K12R I thought I was having the same problem. I found that if I held the starter button down a little longer, even after it catches, it wouldn't die on me. Just a 0.5 second longer or so.

For me it was just getting used to a new bike. My guzzi would kick over and stay chugging the moment the engine caught. The R seems to need a touch more time.

Your issue might be a little more involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I have a small problem on cold start. Hit the starter with no throttle and the bike turns over but cuts out immediately. Do it with a little throttle and no problems. Head machanic at my dealer says this should not happen. He has had a couple of goes at finding the problem with no success. He spoke to BMW Australia and they couldn't shed any light on it. The next step, I think, was to contact BMW Germany. The problem developed at about 2500km from memory , I now have 6800km and the problem has remained constant i.e. no worse, no better. Really it hasn't been an issue at all so far but at the end of the day the bike shouldn't do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mattlamotte said:
When I got my K12R I thought I was having the same problem. I found that if I held the starter button down a little longer, even after it catches, it wouldn't die on me. Just a 0.5 second longer or so.

For me it was just getting used to a new bike. My guzzi would kick over and stay chugging the moment the engine caught. The R seems to need a touch more time.

Your issue might be a little more involved.
I'll try this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
denisl said:
Really it hasn't been an issue at all so far but at the end of the day the bike shouldn't do it.
Same for me....it is great otherwise, but a 20,000+ bike shouldn't do this...right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
denisl said:
I have a small problem on cold start. Hit the starter with no throttle and the bike turns over but cuts out immediately. Do it with a little throttle and no problems. Head machanic at my dealer says this should not happen. He has had a couple of goes at finding the problem with no success. He spoke to BMW Australia and they couldn't shed any light on it. The next step, I think, was to contact BMW Germany. The problem developed at about 2500km from memory , I now have 6800km and the problem has remained constant i.e. no worse, no better. Really it hasn't been an issue at all so far but at the end of the day the bike shouldn't do it.
Same starting procedure works for my S. Hadn't thought to mention it at the 600 service & it's still the same. Bit of throttle as it catches & no stalling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Mine does EXACTLY this..Usually about 3 times of start-up and stalls. Have been told by old timers that as the miles go on...the prob goes away... but if it doesn't I'll have my extortionist..er.. dealer fix it at my first service, too...

If you find a fix that works.. let me know. I'll try the starter button idea next time... Doesn't sound logical but .. this is a GERMAN bike.

gan1hck said:
Just wondering if anyone else have this problem with their 06 k1200s?

Just got 900 miles on it...and had the first service done....During this whole time, the bike takes several cranks to get it started.

Once warm it's great, but the first start in the morning aways takes 3 starts and stalls?

anyone else have this problem? the dealer said they fixed it at the first service, but it is still doing it.

The dealer is 2 hours away, so if this is not uncommon, I was going to wait until my next service appointment to have it looked at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I had the same exact problem...cold engine stalled 3 times before the engine remained on. Read a thread about giving a small amount of throttle as soon as it kicks over, tried it out and the engine hasn't stalled at cold startup since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
hi folks,
same story for me, since it has 300kms, 1st cold start in minimum 3, sometimes 5 trials
and the "check engine" on !
went to my dealer and they changed camshaft position sensor (the fault code)(1 week at dealership)

no change

back to the dealer, the bike to test for normally 3 days : diagnostic ; leaking injector(s)
injector change(2weeks at the dealearship)

no change

a bit angry, phone call to bmw, and they propose to get the bike to the dealer, then at the technical center for tests, diagnosis and fixing
5 days of test : no mechanical problem, so the only thing left is the ecu or software
again some days of test and there they are; software faulty
fix : impossible by now (2 weeks at the dealership/technical center)
i've had to get my bike back home by my own means with no solution to the problem
officialy : factory is working on it .....

no change

it was at the end of november, so for a bike 2 1/2 months old, there were 5 weeks off !
still waiting for anything official stating of my problem
wonder if i'm on my way to get some lawier in the game (beyond that i'm 95% happy with the bike, and i know that if a start this kind of process, i won't even be glad to ride it anymore ! ) or put some mediatic relationship to the front of the scene

clearly deceived of bmw's reaction (or non-reaction), specially for that "top technology" bike !

cheers

dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like it is not too uncommon.

A little annoying, but otherwise, I love this bike.

Perhaps a factory fix will come in time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
My S always turns over about three times before firing when cold, but has never stalled after starting. I use no throttle when starting. 10K miles, and it remains consistent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Cold start blues.

Maybe I'm a bit older, I remember manual chokes on cars and bikes. My first serious bike was a 1963 Triumph Bonneville. I didn't even have a choke, just what Triumph called
"tickler" buttons on the carbs. I would push them down and the floats would be depressed and flood the carbs for cold starting.
With my K1200S I was having the same problem if I didn't touch the throttle on cold starts. Now I just give it a blip when it catches and then it rarely dies on cold starts. After all my hand is right there when I hit the starter button.

Bronston.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
My KS used to start instantly in the first 1000km. Nowaday on cold start, I'd have to keep the start button depressed 2-3 seconds and it works fine for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Bronston said:
Maybe I'm a bit older, I remember manual chokes on cars and bikes. My first serious bike was a 1963 Triumph Bonneville. I didn't even have a choke, just what Triumph called
"tickler" buttons on the carbs. I would push them down and the floats would be depressed and flood the carbs for cold starting.
With my K1200S I was having the same problem if I didn't touch the throttle on cold starts. Now I just give it a blip when it catches and then it rarely dies on cold starts. After all my hand is right there when I hit the starter button.

Bronston.
yes ! of course :)

but on a 2006 20k$ triumph,wouldn't you expect more than a choke button ;-)
and on a single wire engine management, wouldn't we expect a single push start ?

cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Alan Brothers said:
I had the same exact problem...cold engine stalled 3 times before the engine remained on. Read a thread about giving a small amount of throttle as soon as it kicks over, tried it out and the engine hasn't stalled at cold startup since.
Same problem with cold starts for me and same solution as mentioned above. Blip a little throttle as soon as the motor fires and that does the trick for me everytime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Me too on 06 KS

When cold (below 65 F) mine nearly always takes 2 starts before it will run--once it took 3. As with the rest of you, no problem once warm. Can live with it but should not have to, particularly since Bosch has been making EFI since fall of 1967 (VW f/b, s/b) and putting EFI on BMW m/c since 1985! Bike is great otherwise--love it! By the way, my rear brake pedal pivot was not lubricated from factory and had a tendency to stick, causing brake light to stay on (Yes, I know you're supposed to use only front brake lever, but the brake pedal should not stick.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Have u folks tryed starting a ZZR1200 with full choke? It will go up too 6000rpm...! U have to bee very good settng the choke correct on that bike! Ny K1200S starts easy and have 2-3 rough "spots" imidiately afther start, but then settle steady, and NOT on 6000rpm!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
ZZR1200 said:
Have u folks tryed starting a ZZR1200 with full choke? It will go up too 6000rpm...! U have to bee very good settng the choke correct on that bike! Ny K1200S starts easy and have 2-3 rough "spots" imidiately afther start, but then settle steady, and NOT on 6000rpm!!!

Yes, I remember it well. You had to have your thumb on the choke lever so that you could instantly adjust it. I've had no problems with the K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
sounds like some people here are being overly picky, 5 weeks of downtime cause you dont want to do more than stab a starter button for a second, Id rather ride myself. I have never seen a bike of any make that didnt have some way it prefered to be started wether a blip of the throttle or bump a starter then hold down, or give it fuel when hitting the button or some such thing, sure be annoyed if you like but I wouldnt waste a single hour of riding time trying to sort out something so trivial JMHO
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top