BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the heated grips on my K12S - yes it gets cold even down here in northeast FL. I have a nice pair of mesh gloves for riding in the summer and a heavy set of leather gauntlet-style gloves for winter. These heavy gloves are lined and bulky and I dislike using them because I don't feel as though I am "in touch" with the throttle when I wear them. The lining seems to move between my palm and the leather.

With the heated grips, I really don't need (or want) that lining between my hands and the grips. Does anyone make a winter glove for heated grips that has no interior lining on the palms but something on the back of the hand for warmth against the wind?

If the answer to that is no, what gloves do you wear in cold weather and why do you like them?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another alternative I would recommend is the First Gear Voyager glove. Comfortable, waterproof, nice grip and lever feel for a winter glove, not drafty at the wrist, and good heat transfer to the palms.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
liberator said:
Bruce,
Thanks for the link, which of these gloves would you recommend? I saw several cool weather gloves, touring and racing types too.
Erich
I see by Mike's post that Hot Grips still has the insulated gloves( I was wrong). I have them and they are very good. They are made in Pakistan and are insulated on the back and plain soft leather on the palm. The combo makes for a warm glove with good "feel" on the bars( heated grips only). They are very good for a mild winter climate.
I have a pair of Tour Master insulated leather gloves and find them too bulky for anything but the freeway useage.
I was also going to buy a pair of the Thunderwear insulated fabric gloves. Hell, for $20.00 you gotta try them.
Bruce C
ps The Hot Grip gloves run a little small in size.

·
Registered
36 Posts
liberator said:
Jerry,
Thanks for the info on the Voyager glove. I take it from your description that you don't feel any "movement" between the liner/leather.?

No I do not, the liner in the palm area does not feel independent of the outer leather.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Gloves

Second the Lee Parks. It is amazing to me how such a thin glove can keep you so warm. I have the PCIs for when it is real cold and the standard for all other riding - 55 and above.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You might try some of the Held race gloves. They are padded on the back of the hand and fingers for protection, but the padding also does a good job of insualtion. Palms are kangaroo and offer great control feel. I'm comfortable with these and teh heated grips down to about 50 deg. F.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Well, yeah, they'er BMW gloves, but they're good. BMW Comfort Gloves. Not too bulky for operating the controls, but insulated really well. Rarely have to put the heated grips on high, and even then only to get them warmed up fast. They don't allow me to push the buttons successfully on the Garmin 276c initially, but the horn, turn signals, throttle and levers are easy to use. Plus, they're warm in 40 degree weather.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestions guys - lots to choose from.

I guess that is what's so great about internet communities like this, you can get the opinions of people who actually use the products as opposed to relying solely on advertised claims.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I bought some Joe Rocket Nitrogen gloves this past fall. I was suprised at how warm they are down to 40 and have survived a couple rain storms. I have not put them through a 4-5 hour ride in a downpour yet. I have used the Gerbing electric glove liner in these Joe Rockets with great results.
My heated grips went dead last week while it was 22 degrees outside, the Nitrogens and the Gerbing glove liner did the job. I wear a thin silk like glove liner, then the Gebing liners so that the electrics warm the top of the hand, then the Nitrogens as outer shell. Now all I need to do is replace the right switch pod on my K12 and I will have some toasty hands. Gee I hope it drops to around zero here in Virginia so I can really test them out.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Erich
I received the Thunder-wear(model #T-616) fabric gloves that I posted about earlier. They are a fairly warm $25.00 Korean-made glove, nothing more,nothing less. I had them in 40° weather and they were OK. Not near as good as the Hot Grip gloves that also were mentioned. Neither of these are good for bitter cold. But in 40°+ weather they get good marks. Both of these gloves are made for use with heated grips.
Bruce C

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've tried some Olympia winter leather gloves with lots of insulation. They were pretty effective down to 20 with silk liners and Aerostitich triple digit rain cover over them but not much heat from grips made it through the insulation.
And, this is bulky.
Just got some First Gear Voyager gloves mentioned previously. They seem to work as well as the thicker leather ones and are easier to use. They allow more heat from grips to be belt. Plus they are supposed to be waterproof, something the leather gloves weren't.
A good product for the price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts