BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://ecom.bmwgroup.com/ecom32/AT/BMWMotorcycle/de/pages/vse/index.jsp?process=vse

Picked this up on Michael Bense website. It's in German, but understandable. You click on the color and then go to the bottom left of the page to see the bike in different views, i.e. from the rider's position and a couple of different angles as well.

After you click on the color, you can then click on "OK" and that brings up the option list. Putting a check in each and then you can get the total price in Euros which most probably doesn't correlate to the U.S. price - at least I hope it doesn't.

Miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
kristallgrau metallic
Sitzbank grau

kristallgrau metallic
Sitzbank schwarz

OK, whats the difference here? I cannot see one.


BTW, is that color really as close to Ivory Metallic as it looks? If so I will own one. I had an ivory/brown R1200C and loved the color.



The only problem I see, the prices border on insane, no wait a minute, they are insane!
 

·
Statmaster
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
The color configurator doesn't show it, but you have a light gray and dark gray option for the accent colors. Similar to what they do for the RT and ST
 

·
Statmaster
Joined
·
2,313 Posts


Click on the thumbnail to see the full sized version
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Holy exchange rate Batman. 22, 670 euro for bike with big option package = $26,716. May be rethinking my plans.
 

·
Statmaster
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
I don't think you can go by that pricing. If you look at the K1200LT on the site as a comparison, it's easy to spec one out to over 26,000 Euros, which equals $30,641. I believe there is different pricing for the US.
 

·
Statmaster
Joined
·
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Playing with this "configurator" a little, I noticed when you are finished checking off the options and hit "OK" (say, isn't this english?) the next screen shows the bike in the color you selected.

Down to the left, above the three horizontal blue stripes, is an icon showing a little magnifying glass with a "+" in it. If you click on that icon the next screen shows a large, hi-rez picture of the GT in the selected color.

Miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
ChrisH said:
kristallgrau metallic
Sitzbank grau

kristallgrau metallic
Sitzbank schwarz

OK, whats the difference here? I cannot see one.


BTW, is that color really as close to Ivory Metallic as it looks? If so I will own one. I had an ivory/brown R1200C and loved the color.



The only problem I see, the prices border on insane, no wait a minute, they are insane!
The difference is the color of the saddle: schwarz = black, grau = grey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
milkman said:
Doesn't matter what color...still fugly....

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/printer_1506.shtml

Hey Dairyman; the word (internet) contraction "fugly" is perhaps the most overused and useless word in any language.

But since it's appeared again - and by the way, in surfing a number of BMW motorcycle websites it seems every new BMW motorcycle (and there's been alot of them recently) have been very cleverly scrutinized by various members of these forums as "fugly". Yet the Spandau factory is backed-up and production is (universally) at an all-time high.

Maybe you would like to "click" on the above link and provide us with your sagacious opinion on the concept motorcycle depicted. Oh, don't bother - your response: of course, "fugly".

The problem your facing, and it's entirely understandable is that by every intervention, your 20th century motorcycle, although quaintly "pretty" is seriously outdated. And yes, it's hard to accept the march of progress in industrial design paramaters.

Think of it this way: how in the world could BMW incorporate its duolever front suspension, esa rear suspension, world class inline four cylinder engine, lightened final drive system, canbus electronics, advanced instrumentation in a bloated, heavily weighted K12RS/GT with plastic flanks that swirl around in pretty but aimless directions. Well, they couldn't, the advance in engineering would not permit it; no, you are wrong, the design is perfect for the application of all the tecnical achievements that go into these new generation motorcycles.

By the way, I also can't wrap myself around the Audi concept bike - just too futuristic at this point. But, the K-S/R and the new GT are perfect (from a design perspective) for this point in time.

Miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
:) Sweet . . . my handy dandy Euro/Dollar converter puts it over 27,000 dollars. Hopefully, Jeff is correct! Heck, I can get a Screamin' Eagle Fat Boy for that much!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Like many high performance/highly desirable cars, a high price is part of the panache of ownership. It automatically leads to relative exclusivity and therefore makes a statement about both the machine and its owner. The automotive and motorcycle worlds are full of such machines. Certainly the BMW company is aware of this!
As long as the new machine can back up its price with performance, it doesn't have to offer "value". Plenty of people can afford expensive toys and remember motorcycle prices are nothing compared to their automotive equivalents. The fact is BMW will sell plenty of the new KGT,s in part because of the price.
They have already sold one to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Lets see, Screaming Eagle Fat Boy on one hand and a K1200GT on the other, one a motorcycle, the other a shiney, chrome covered piece of bling that is designed to overcome a low self esteme and other shortcommings...........

No comparison, IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Miles_Miller said:
It's in German, but understandable. Miles
Of course it's understandable! :p

Of course, it helps to be able to speak German. :D

For those who don't, here is the translation for the 3 available colors....

"Darkgraphit Metallic; Sitzbank grau"..... Dark graphite metallic; grey seat
"Darkgraphit Metallic; Sitzbank schwarz"..... Dark graphite metallic; black seat
"Kristallgrau Metallic; Sitzbank grau"..... Crystal grey metallic; grey seat
"Kristallgrau Metallic; Sitzbank schwarz"..... Crystal grey metallic; black seat
"Tiefblau Metallic; Sitzbank grau"..... Deep Blue metallic; grey seat
"Tiefblau Metallic; Sitzbank schwarz"..... Deep Blue metallic; black seat

Interestingly, they refer to the seat as a "Sitzbank" which literally means "bench seat". I wonder if they are planning to offer "bucket seats" as an alternative? :D

Bob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
NOMODOC 22 said:
Like many high performance/highly desirable cars, a high price is part of the panache of ownership. It automatically leads to relative exclusivity and therefore makes a statement about both the machine and its owner. The automotive and motorcycle worlds are full of such machines. Certainly the BMW company is aware of this!
As long as the new machine can back up its price with performance, it doesn't have to offer "value". Plenty of people can afford expensive toys and remember motorcycle prices are nothing compared to their automotive equivalents. The fact is BMW will sell plenty of the new KGT,s in part because of the price.
They have already sold one to me.

Too bad for BMW the only company that can sell in volume at BMW motorcycle prices isn't BMW, its Honda.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
RFWILSON said:
Of course it's understandable! :p

Of course, it helps to be able to speak German. :D

For those who don't, here is the translation for the 3 available colors....

"Darkgraphit Metallic; Sitzbank grau"..... Dark graphite metallic; grey seat
"Darkgraphit Metallic; Sitzbank schwarz"..... Dark graphite metallic; black seat
"Kristallgrau Metallic; Sitzbank grau"..... Crystal grey metallic; grey seat
"Kristallgrau Metallic; Sitzbank schwarz"..... Crystal grey metallic; black seat
"Tiefblau Metallic; Sitzbank grau"..... Deep Blue metallic; grey seat
"Tiefblau Metallic; Sitzbank schwarz"..... Deep Blue metallic; black seat

Interestingly, they refer to the seat as a "Sitzbank" which literally means "bench seat". I wonder if they are planning to offer "bucket seats" as an alternative? :D

Bob.

That Crystal Grey sure looks ivory in pictures, wish I hope holds true when it comes here. I'll buy that color as seen in the photos...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RFWILSON said:
Of course it's understandable! :p

Of course, it helps to be able to speak German. :D

For those who don't, here is the translation for the 3 available colors....

"Darkgraphit Metallic; Sitzbank grau"..... Dark graphite metallic; grey seat
"Darkgraphit Metallic; Sitzbank schwarz"..... Dark graphite metallic; black seat
"Kristallgrau Metallic; Sitzbank grau"..... Crystal grey metallic; grey seat
"Kristallgrau Metallic; Sitzbank schwarz"..... Crystal grey metallic; black seat
"Tiefblau Metallic; Sitzbank grau"..... Deep Blue metallic; grey seat
"Tiefblau Metallic; Sitzbank schwarz"..... Deep Blue metallic; black seat

Interestingly, they refer to the seat as a "Sitzbank" which literally means "bench seat". I wonder if they are planning to offer "bucket seats" as an alternative? :D

Bob.
Thanks for the translation, Bob. Maybe you could help out again in case we see more of these interesting German language threads on the new GT. Interestingly, all this information came from an Austrian rather than a German source.

If you are interested, you might check the German K-bikes forums once in awhile; that's where this information came from; assuming you have an interest in the bike. The web address is www.K1200s.de

Miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Miles_Miller said:
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/printer_1506.shtml

<snip> in a bloated, heavily weighted K12RS/GT with plastic flanks that swirl around in pretty but aimless directions. Miles
Hmmm, this doesn't sound like the usual diplomatic Miles...that fugly comment must have hit a nerve. I'm all for defending the new GT, which I happen to like, but calling down the current version in the process...now let's not get carried away.

Bloated, overweight? Sure it's a heavy bike but that contributes to the feeling of stability at speed like nothing else. And it's roughly the same weight as it's competitors (and the new GT) which I've listed below along with links to the pages where the specs of the various bikes are listed.

2005 GT dry weight - 281kg (wet weight - 300 kg)

New GT "unloaded" - 282 kg (not sure if this is dry or wet but assuming it's wet weight, the difference between the new gt and the old is only 18 kg, around 40 lbs...not huge)
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732

FJR dry weight - 268 kg http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=580&section=td&group=M

ST1300 dry weight - 289 kg http://www.honda.ca/MotorcycleEng/CurrentModels/Touring/ST13005.htm?year=2005&page=techspecs

While we're on the topic, let's not forget your beloved S is no lightweight at 248kg (wet), only 52 kg less then the GT. In fact in sportbike circles it would be considered "bloated and heavily weighted". A Suzuki GSX1000 weighs in at at mere 166kg! http://www.suzuki.ca/en/bike/specs.cfm?modelcode=gr10&subcategory=super sport

PS Some of us think those plastic flanks that swirl in pretty but aimless directions look pretty good...even better then the angled flanks of the new GT.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top