BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be doing winter maintainence work after Christmas. My rear wheel paint is stained, messed up and I'm going to repaint them for now. Maybe powder coat them later on down the line but right now I'm just going to paint them. What is the color of these wheels? Who makes the paint and where can I get it? The color is the silver grey. Picture included.
Thanks

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
117 Posts
ColorRite Motorcycle Paint

I'm a retffired Engineer by vocation but my real life between jobs has always been as a painter.
I painted my Bandit with a spray gun and Urethane which takes experience for temperatures.

Now that I live work and build out of my bedroom in someone else's apartment I used colorites 3 can spray fsystem and couldn't be more pleased. The repainted fairing is an exasct match Indigo Blue.

Directions were much different than any before and out of character for me I followed them.
No one has been able to tell which side was damaged by a broad pushing imy K1200S over.

For silver on the spot touch ups I use Rust-Oleum High Heat Ultra Silver. Its a brighter more silver that blends in after rubbing out with Mequires Ultimate compound and a clear coat. It looks better than the factory and eventually I'll "upgrade" everything. Its an inexpensive "right now" solution.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think any paint shop should be able to mix some up if you give them that number. I don’t know if you can get it through bmw it would probably cost an an arm and a leg if you could.

·
Registered
117 Posts

I think any paint shop should be able to mix some up if you give them that number. I don’t know if you can get it through bmw it would probably cost an an arm and a leg if you could.
Again,,
Order from Colorite they have an exact match. Plug in the year model of YOUR bike and chose spray or canned paint .
For a 2006 K1200S
954 is White Aluminum

·
Registered
133 Posts
Plus 1 on color right. I had them mix up a quart for me to shoot out of my paint gun and then I had them make me two spray cans. I couldn’t believe how well the spray cans sprayed nor couldn’t believe how well it matched the yellow on my K1600GA/B. I painted 11 pieces to this bike nine of them yellow two of them metallic black I got rid of all the flat black that was on it.
If you were ever looking to paint the wheels on your K 1200 S a different color I guess now would be the time but if you want to keep it original I guess you should go silver. But Blue would sure look good

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Rectangle Font Art Number Paper product

This snip is from MAX BMW parts fische for K1200S, diagram 36-815 if you want to look it up and confirm. As far as I know, BMW does not ship paint in any form of container.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Will be doing winter maintainence work after Christmas. My rear wheel paint is stained, messed up and I'm going to repaint them for now. Maybe powder coat them later on down the line but right now I'm just going to paint them. What is the color of these wheels? Who makes the paint and where can I get it? The color is the silver grey. Picture included.
Thanks

View attachment 29911
View attachment 29925

This snip is from MAX BMW parts fische for K1200S, diagram 36-815 if you want to look it up and confirm. As far as I know, BMW does not ship paint in any form of container.
Thanks

View attachment 29911
[/QUOTE
Hi again,
What year is your bike and are the wheels the same silver as the frame?
In the photo they look darker while mine are the same color?

I am ordering 954 White Aluminum from colorite.
For the price of one can I might as well keep the bike original.

954 is White Aluminum
955 is White Aluminum 3
960 Aluminium silvfrom er metallic

A good website for BMW's paint is:
BMW PAINT, COLOR CODES, SCHEMES, etc
© copyright 2021, R. Fleischer

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pcodes.htm

BMW Airhead motorcycle colors & paint scheme codes
There is also some, not extensive, information on K bike and Oilhead colors.
Every BMW motorcycle, and cars too, is coded with a three-digit paint finish code number. BMW motorcycles use that code number, usually found on a label under the seat, on the seat pan or top of the rear fender... to refer to an over-all paint job. This is a finish code; covering the entire paint job.
In some instances there is a base color coat, which has an over-coat applied to get some desired effect ...or more than one! ...and then perhaps a clear coat. Some paints are not clear coated.
The first number in a BMW code is the paint, the second number is the finish code.
There may be several color coats used, & a finishing top clear coat, one or more colors or types of pinstriping, etc....it all depends on the model (and, probably, year). If you want information on color depth, fading, etc., you need to speak to an expert BMW motorcycle painter.
Cast alloy wheels are painted. An excellent match for that paint is Würth's Silver Wheel Paint.
This is a rather short list for paint work. Inquire on the appropriate Internet Mailing List or Forum. Be sure to ask detailed questions.

Complete paint jobs: Holt's, in Ohio. 740-593-6690 (they also do fuel tank repairing)

Paint: Excellent paints; can match any color. Color-Rite. Their chief Tech is Doug Hodgins, in the business for >40 years. Small to large containers available; as well as aerosol cans; and a 'trick' touch-up pen. https://www.color-rite.com. In the USA: in Whittier, CA (562) 947-9796. In Canada (418) 876-3867, if you are not French speaking, ask for Reggie.

RSBIKEPAINT.com in U.K. 0044 (0) 1707 273219 [email protected] Will, I think, ship worldwide.

Powder coating:
(1) Fusion Coatings, Livermore, California.
(2) Greber Machine Tool & Custom Powder Coating; 313 Clark St. Elyria, Ohio 44035 440-323-8588. This company does it REALLY right, even cooking the parts first; then coating, then fusing at temperature. HIGHLY recommended.

View attachment 29925

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Guys I really appreciate all the help but now I'm getting confused. I went to the Colorite web site but could only get the paint colors for the body work. I'm looking for paint color of the wheels. So is it 960 aluminum silver metallic or M955 white aluminum metallic?
Felix, I checked it out and you are correct, the M955 white aluminum is one of the choices.
So, call Colorite and ask them to make me a can of M955 white aluminum or 954?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think the BMW parts fische is clear. I don't know that 954 was ever used on R1200S wheels. Also, you don't have to go to Colorite. You local autobody paint shop can mix it up for you on the spot. They'll also hook you up with the type of primer best suited for that paint. Do you have a PPG Paint Supply near you? If not, then ask a local body shop where they source their paints. This might be easier than you think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts